roof vent media

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeb813

Reaction score
I have a house with a roof vent that has no filler in it so leaves, water and whatever else blows by gets in. What should i use as a media to add in to it?

I wish I could, it's 175 miles away. It's a recently purchased vacation home. I thought ridge vent was ridge vent.

I thought ridge vent was ridge vent.

Sorry, this isn't true. Ridge vent with an external baffle creates turbulance along the edge which deflects air up and over the vent, not allowing wind driven debris or rain to enter. Air Vent Or GAF, Cobra Vent III are the only ones we use and haven't had a problem with either and we've installed miles of the stuff. One other factor that may contribute to your problem is the steepness of your roof. Do you happen to know the roof pitch?

The stuff they use around here have plastic mesh about an 1" thick. People put the same mesh in regular roof vents to stop the snow from blowing in

You're calling it a "roof vent" but what kind of vent? There are ridge vents, which run horizontally along the peak of the roof. There are soffit vents which install under the roof overhang and there are gable vents that mount vertically on the wall, generally under the peaks of the roof.

sorry i don't know the pitch but it is slight and it is a metal roof installed over asphalt shingles if that makes any difference.

Nealtw, "the stuff they use around here" do you know what it's called? if i knew what to call it i'd have a better chance of finding some.

Neal, the problem with that type of vent is if you step on it, the vent will collapse and they are prone to filling up with dust and clogging air flow. I like the rigid vent better and it is available with a filter in it already.

Joe, you can get Cobra Roll Vent and put it under the metal ridge cap. You may have to trim it to fit. All it takes is a drill with a nut driver bit to remove the screws, install the roll vent, then put the metal ridge cap on. Cobra Roll Vent should be available at the big box stores.

Latest posts

Back