Is it necessary to add underlayment for sheet vinyl

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asa

Reaction score
We are wanting to replace the flooring in a mobile home with sheet vinyl. Due to numerous other repairs, the budget is gone. There are no plans to ever sell this house.

We removed all the carpet and took up the vinyl in the kitchen and one of the bathrooms since it had some problem areas. Laundry area was left alone since it was all adhered well. Original vinyl was applied directly to the subfloor. I know the bathroom vinyl was laid at a later date, and it was applied directly to the subfloor as well.

Is it a MUST that we install some form of underlayment or can we get by with just using a leveler/patch where they pieces of subfloor meet? Or is that even needed? I can tell the vinyl used before was full spread glue.

I believe the original subfloor is particleboard. We have repaired a few spots where a window air unit leaked and used plywood as the replacement material.

If you have someone do this for you and you want him to stand behind his work, he will want to put down something first. Any flaw in the floor will show thru the new vinyl. Mostly it is up to you and how much work you want to spend making the sub floor the best it can be.

I can just tell you, as someone who has done flooring for a living for 40 years, I would not want to put vinyl on particle board. I have done it, but it is not a good idea. That stuff is not good under the best conditions.

What kept the original vinyl and the one that was laid date okay?

Here's the reality. Partical board is one of the dumbest things they ever came up with.
Get's wet once and it's trash. It turns to oat meal.
Even the rising moisture from under your home is going to cause it to swell up and change size.
All the partical board needs to go, once it's gone, install 3/4" T & G Advantec subflooring using coood making sure the seams do not line up nstrution adhesive on top of the floor joist.
Since your going whith linolium your going to also need a layer of 1/4 subfloor rated plywood over the subfloor, the seams can not line up with the seams below, no glue is used.
It needs to be fastened every 4" on the edges and 6 to 8" in the field.
Any flaws and seams need to be filled or there going to show through the flooring.
If you skip out on any of these steps or use the cheapest linolium you can find your just going to be going back and doing this all over again.

Back