What kinda steps are these and how to fill gaps ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attached are some pics from one side. Other side pics are dark due to weird camera setting so I did not upload. But other side is completely clean as compared to the one in images here.

After removing vinyl siding ( as shown in attached pic) , I am seeing little soil attached to bottom end of OSB. I checked everywhere but I did not see any termite. However the more and more steps I removed, there were ants ( not the wood eater ants though ). So I am suspicious that this soil attached to OSB is from ant or other insects but not termite.

Here is what I am planning to do now and please let me know if there is anything I am missing -

1. Use wood hardner and wood filler on the Rim that is little damaged.
2. Cut the OSB which is damaged and replaced with new one.
3. Use termite spray everywhere.
4. Use a quick fix sealant tape on OSB ( specially below door) .
5. Install vinyl siding.
6. Go ahead with wooden steps project and keep little space from house for a ledger ( installed using 2 independent posts )

Please guide me - if I am going in wrong direction or anything else that I should consider. Thanks in advance.

20170414_181640.jpg

20170414_181646.jpg

20170414_181649.jpg

20170414_181952.jpg

20170414_181959.jpg

20170414_181658.jpg

When we build houses, we put sill gasket between wood and concrete to keep the two separate and then people stucco right up and touching the osb :rofl:

Any wood that is discoloured should be treated with copper
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...ved=0ahUKEwjv9KnekaXTAhUM72MKHThECdkQ9QEIJjAA

I don't like stairs right up against a door, I would build a 36" landing first six inches lower that the door, if done right it can be attached to the house.

The termite spray you linked to may not be a good preventative treatment. It says it is good for carpenter ants for 90 days indoors. I don't know the name of the product off-hand, but there is stuff that can be used on the soil outside the house, which is intended for termite control.

Back