What type of stain should we use on deck?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikasintl

Reaction score
I was told use stain and not paint on cedar deck boards..

what type of stain...I was reading and it said some where only use semi transparent stain with clear sealer ...it said avoid solid color stain

can you please give your suggestions...

I've found that choosing a stain can depend on what style you want to achieve. A big factor in this decision process comes down to visibility of the wood’s grain.

No visible grain = more densely coated, or opaque, stain.
Transparent stains, which will protect the wood while giving full visibility of the grain.
You can also choose to buy a semi-transparent stain, which would result in a happy medium between opaque and transparency.

I've found that choosing a stain can depend on what style you want to achieve. A big factor in this decision process comes down to visibility of the wood’s grain.

No visible grain = more densely coated, or opaque, stain.
Transparent stains, which will protect the wood while giving full visibility of the grain.
You can also choose to buy a semi-transparent stain, which would result in a happy medium between opaque and transparency.

Do you have suggestions on brands or what type you prefer? I've been wondering the same thing as vikasintl. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Do you have suggestions on brands or what type you prefer? I've been wondering the same thing as vikasintl. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I retired this year after over 50 years as a decorating contractor and have done hundreds of decks. My preference for cedar has always been a semi-transparent oil based stain. Unfortunately, the various EPAs, both state and federal have regulated them to where they are not what they were. In the last 10 years or so I have used one or another of the Benjamin Moore Arborcoat products almost exclusively with excellent results. Visit their website, read up on them, then make your decision.

A nice clear coat brings out the natural vibrancy of wood.
Why hide it with a dark color.
However i have a dark brown on the deck steps. Seems to work well on a high traffic area.

I know you're asking about a stain for the FLOOR of your deck, but I want to share my great satisfaction with a product I decided to use just on the railings and posts around my two decks. I found this Sikkens satin finish stuff by chance at Hodee-Ho and decided to go with a dark, flat coffee brown on the FLOOR and a lighter fawn in SATIN on the railings (both semi-trans). The effect is beautiful, and the railings have a comfortable furniture feel to them. (One important note: In order to achieve the lovely satin finish, you must apply a second coat. But I didn't mind because my railings are exposed to the brutal summer sun of Atlanta.) BTW plan any application of this product so it doesn't happen in full sunshine; it needs to dry overnight before taking on the heat and UV of full exposure. Sorry, but that brutal Atlanta sun makes it difficult to show the subtle differences between the finishes on the rails and on the floor.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikkens-ProLuxe-1-gal-Medium-Base-Premier-Semi-Transparent-Satin-Exterior-Wood-Finish-SIK800-170-01/206793876

100_1875.jpg

100_1880.jpg

Last edited:
No clear or natural outdoor finish has any UV protection. Use them and the project will go silver/gray.

No color, no uv protection. Color = micro ground metal particles suspended in a carrier. These get into the wood and reflect the Sun, its just that simple.

I use TWP 100 series. It has UV, water/ mold mildew protection.

JonMon

Back