Sagging Second and Third Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

581A0AM

Reaction score
Hey guys. . . I'm new to the site, looking for some general advice.

I just purchased a home with a mostly finished basement. The ceiling is a hung ceiling that I want to replace with drywall. After removing the hun ceiling I noticed that one rafter was sagging about 3/8 an inch lower than the rest. The house was remodeled to open up the entry way and I guess some structural rigidity was lost in the process. The wall on the first floor is positioned lengthwise on the the rafter which I think is causing the sag.

The basement room is roughly 15' X 30'. I am thinking about adding a wall in the basement that would follow the rafter lengthwise to lift up the ceiling and provide adequate strength.

Any thoughts or advice from the community? I have contacted a few professionals to come and give opinion, but I'd like to get some good background before I make any decisions.

Thanks in advance

If a bearing wall above and a beam below, the posts need their own rated concrete footing cut in and dug out under the slab. Same with a bearing wall below, but a longer, narrower footing, with both using about the same amount of concrete.
Be safe, Gary

Back