Keeping tools outside?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I have a dilema, the wife wants me to keep the tools in the garage and based on the humidity in the basement during the summer I'm not sure thats a better place for them.

Where do you guys keep your tools? is it ok to keep them outside in the garage where they can get freezing? Thanks

Ya gotta know what's important,send the wife to the garage.;)

No really the tool that don't get used everyday are in the garage. The rest are used in all sorts of weather and thrown back in the van at the end of the day and that's where they live.

Have the wife spend the night in the garage and see how she likes it. Now why would she want your tools to live like that?
I keep my tools in a large tool chest and each drawer has a 1/2lb bag of silica gel to absorb moisture.

You will be fine in the garage. My garage is half shop, unheated no a/c. The wife gets the other half in stormy weather. I put in a paddle fan for when I get sent out to the garage in the summer.
Most tools are in a carry box, or in the toolbox. Always line your toolbox with something. I used rags if nothing else. Keep your tools off the concrete... make a separator with anything but metal or cardboard. I have a big 4x8 bench with a huge storage underneath about 3 inches off the floor.
Have fun!!

Thanks Guys, I don't feel so bad putting them in the garage, i just didn't want the weather to destroy them. I'll keep them off the ground and get some silica.

Mine are kept in unheated garage and they got down to negative 14 F the other night. Just keep them out of the rain and wipe them down with a little oil from time to time and they will be fine.

Leave wife in the unheated garage ... you can move to Florida and take your tools. :D

Back