Is pH testing important?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryans442

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a new guy on the forum and I'm in the middle of some renovations in my master bathroom. I've done a few projects in the past but just recently a friend of mine suggested that I test the pH levels of the water flowing into my bathroom.

Has anyone ever done this? Is it important? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

For the amount it costs you, its probably worth it to test pH levels. Test strips are pretty affordable and do an accurate enough job for what you would need them for. You can buy them online at a bunch of places. pH test strips are pretty easy to buy online. Good luck with the renovations.

Andrew :cool:

Is there a reason this friend is suggesting you check the pH?
Do you have hard water stains that you don't want to reappear? That's water hardness, not pH (although the minerals do tend to be alkaline).

If you are on "city water", I believe the pH, hardness, turbidity, .... all have to be within certain standards when it reaches your property. You can get a water quality anaylsys from the water district that serves you. Unless you have something really crazy going on in your pipes, you shouldn't see much change from the meter to your faucet.

That being said, the simplest way to check pH would be to get some test strips at the pet store for testing aquarium water. Also try a pool/spa store for water test kits.

No need to send away for something online and pay as much in shipping as the item costs in the first place.

You could also contact your local soft water equipment provider (we have Culligan). They'll come out and test your water for you. Of course, they'll want to sell you a soft water system, but you can always say no thanks...

We had a water softener installed in our place just to cut down on hard water deposits on fixtures, glass shower doors, etc. It has made it easier to clean.

Water could have a low pH and be acidic soft, and corrosive. It's important t remove toxic metals that can be the cause for premature damage to metal piping and most importantly health hazards.

Nobody asked if you have city water or well water. If you have well water, and it's from a shallow source, it's possible to have a low PH. I suppose in certain parts of the country, it's possible to have a low PH in deeper wells too.

A PH below 7 can damage copper and other metal piping. It can also eat your fixtures over time. If you have a real low PH, like 5.5 or so, you may see blue staining in your tub/shower if you have copper plumbing. This is a sure sign that your plumbing is being attacked.

Back