Cracked toilet tank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trok10

Reaction score
Hello
I recently purchased an expensive new toilet for a basement reno and my husband cracked the tank moving it. Is there any way to
fix it with some sort of epoxy or something? It has a styrofoam insert in the tank.....

trok10 said:
Hello
I recently purchased an expensive new toilet for a basement reno and my husband cracked the tank moving it. Is there any way to
fix it with some sort of epoxy or something? It has a styrofoam insert in the tank.....

How bad is the crack?
We're did u get the toilet
Did u install it already?
Post pic of crack if u can
If its a hairline crack maybe some silicone if u can't return it telling them you got it that way.

Mark Potter Capital Projects

I would get a new tank.

If that tank breaks it will cause serious flooding damage to your home, as well as possibly serious injury to someone who leans back against it breaking it.

Is a $50 - $150 toilet tank worth it?

I'm with Redwood on this one, a new tank will cost less then a new floor when it leaks.

Shop around for a tank from the same manufacturer that will fit (has same bolt pattern). I've seen some almost-new complete toilets at Habitat for Humanity or Recycle-It stores for less than $50. Saw some brand new tanks (both Kohler and Toto) at Jerry's Home Improvement for $25 each yesterday in their close-out section. And despite what others have said, don't ever use silicone for water-immersion repairs, as most manufacturers clearly state it will never hold underwater.

Thanks everybody! I think we are just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Better to be safe than sorry.

Back