What is it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
What is it?

Should I be worried?

How do I clean it up?

B3E2897E-6196-4537-9CB4-F589316D9F9D_zpsbx4lcz3j.jpg

6F6BA47F-AE7A-40E1-855F-0EBCA94C4726_zpsemzdgqww.jpg

Photobucket doesn't like you today.

You can directly upload pictured here

right now it is just a picture.:)
Where is it, what shape is it ? what is it attached to? what material do you think it is?

right now it is just a picture.:)
Where is it, what shape is it ? what is it attached to? what material do you think it is?

It is on the concrete floor beside my freezer in my basement. I am thinking it is some sort of salt. It is crusty.

Can I just vacuum it up?
How do I prevent it?
Where is it coming from?

My house in California did that on my garage floor every time it got wet. I was never sure of what it was but I just swept it away til the next time. Made it so my epoxy floors started chipping up. It is Efflorescent, pretty much salt from the concrete. They sell chemicals that are supposed to stop it or reduce it.

Last edited:
Moisture wicking thru the concrete brings salts with it, As the moisture evaporates it leaves the salts on the floor.
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=kEPrUr33HsyFogSg2IKIDA#q=effervescent+on+garage+floor

Ok, S, now I know what it is, and what is causing it, and how to clean it.

Is there any way to stop it from occurring again? Why is it happening near the drain of my freezer?

I know I have seen white in other places too, so this is likely a problem with the entire basement.

Ok, S, now I know what it is, and what is causing it, and how to clean it.

Is there any way to stop it from occurring again? Why is it happening near the drain of my freezer?

I know I have seen white in other places too, so this is likely a problem with the entire basement.

I would put down something like this.

Deep Penetrating Sealer

Back