starting a basement project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesame189

Reaction score
Okay wife wants too re do basement including ripping out carpet and old cedar tongue and grouve boards and replace it with sheet rock , for the floor we have enough laminate i got for free its 12 mil. but she wants tile in front of open bar as we want too eventually put a counter too make it look finish. Here is my question can i just lay the tile right too the concrete and just use a reducer from the laminate too the tile or is there a better way.

That would be about the best way to lay the tile. Right on the slab. If you want to bring it up to the level of the Lam then add cement board accordingly. But if you don't mind the transition go right on top of the slab. 12 mil is pretty thick Lam. Make sure whatever bull nose you use to trim the lam has enough thickness or you may have to build it up a little.

You must be careful when laying tile directly to concrete.

If there are any cracks or control joints in the area you are tiling, you'll need to use an isolation membrane--which prevents those cracks from transfering up into your tile over time. There are several types which usually don't add much to the overall thickness of the floor.

If you have laminate directly over the slab, you shouldn't have a transition issue with most floor tiles. The ready-made laminate "T" transitions should work fine.

Was wondering as well what mil of vapor barrier too lay down on the slab before i put foam down and do i bring the plastic a bit up the wall on studding or up too sill plate.

Another problem with laying tiles directly into concrete:
moisture from the concrete seeps through the grouts and overtime, it might grow moldy.
Another concern: heating costs. Tiles will absorb the cold from the slab underneath and it takes a lot of heat to bring them to comfortable temperatures. I'd go for a flooring solution that is specifically made for basements.
- They are modular, so that you can take a piece out to fix a crack on the slab or replace a tile if it gets damaged just as you'd do with a tile carpet.
-They act as a vapor barrier so you do not need to install one underneath. And there are a number of studies about the energy savings they allow.
-They won't rot, grow mold, absorb moisture and, save an eventual tile replacement in heavy traffic areas, you will never have to rip it all out.
Unless you want to go for another overall look.
-They can be used (you can walk and place furniture on) immediately after installation.

The wife wants a small area done in front of the bar downstairs in tile , i am considering maybe putting concreate board down first in that area it would be like 3x8 section

Back