Drafty Windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

try2diy

Reaction score
My home had dbl pane vinyl replacement windows installed some time before I purchased it. trouble is, some of them have significant air leaking around them. The window in the master bath is so drafty that the room is significantly cooler. What is the approach to take in repairing this problem, ie where do I start, what are my options/choices, and what else can you folks recommend?

First you need to identify specifically where the air leaks are coming from. Are they from the outside of the window, i.e. where the trim is? Or is it the window itself. Most air leaks with replacements probably are coming from the framing. Is there caulking on the outside trim? This could be a factor. You might also see if there was foam insulation used around the window. Post back with where exactly you are getting leaks. Most leaks can be fixed.

It appears that the air comes in from around the window, especially by the sill

Most likely that is because there is not foam insulation (spray in kind) that is being used. I would first caulk around the outside of the window and trim so that any seams and gaps are filled. Then I would carefully pry loose the window trim and get some window and door foam insulation and spray in the gaps, especially those that have air coming through. This should help out.

Back