Formica Kitchen Cabinets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyg

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into redoing my kitchen, which has formica cabinets, doors, etc. They are in pretty good shape, but very dark. Is there any way to remove the formica from the cabinets? I plan on putting in new doors because the current ones are ugly.

Welcome TonyG:
Removing formica can be done but it is terribly difficult to do and won't look very nice when its finished.
There are places that sell cabinet doors (some of them pretty low priced). You could take your measurements to one of those places and get new doors and drawer fronts to put on your existing cabinets. Buy natural finished wood doors or painted white ones, which will make a contrast with the remainder of the dark formica. There is not much of a cabinet showing after you get past the doors and drawer fronts, however, if you do have an end panel showing, it could be covered with a pair of doors and a drawer front minus the hinges and drawer.
Please post back with your results and maybe even some pictures of before and after.
Glenn

Back