Attic Wiring Plans

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
My 1895 house was set up into two units many years ago, the main floor/basement, and the upstairs/attic. Both have separate meters and panels. From what I can see, the upstairs electrical wiring (all romex or armored cable, no knob and tube in use) comes down from the semi-finished attic.

In the next couple of years I plan to finish the attic beyond the existing partial flooring and electrical. I would like to keep the separate panels, but I'm wondering if running the wiring up to the attic then down is proper/to code. This would make it much easier to add outlets and convert to conduit where it isn't.

Thanks!

vince

Last edited:
There is no code about how you route the cables.

Thanks! That is too easy, but I'm happy for it.

vince
There are rules for how often it needs to be fastened, how to protect it from physical damage, etc. in addition to what kind of holes you can make in structural members in order to pass these cables.
These rules seem to be based on empirical data rather than formulas and equations, and the reasons for each rule are varied.

Last edited:
Thanks, that all sounds easy enough, and the whole idea is to try to avoid cutting into structural members.

Latest posts

Back