Considering finishing attic? questions and advice please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milbry18

Reaction score
I am considering finishing my large attic. The major issue I see is the heat and cooling in the room. IN the winter its very cold up there and in the summer very hot. I know there is 4 old windows in there and no insulation in the plaster walls. I don't have a cooling system in the house and have oil baseboard for heat and hot water. Is this a practical room to remodel? Any advice/ ideas would be great?

As far as Heating and Cooling a mini split heat pump will work more then enough.
mini split heat pumps - Google Search
As far as can it be done and how much is it going to cost you need to start calling around and have some people come on site to look at it.
If there's enough head room there's no reason it should not be able to be turned into a room.

Agree with joe. I think it is really the best to seek advice for professionals if you can't DIY. Try that suggested heat pumps as well.

Insulation will be very important in the hot summers. You'll want as much spray or rigid foam as you can get between the roof and drywall to stop the radiant heat from the sun. You'd probably also want to insulate between the first and second floor to keep as much warm air downstairs as possible. If the insulation isn't right, the attic room will be useless in the summer.

The only reason you would need insualtion in the floor in a room in the attic is to make it less noisy when walking up there, carpet and padding will do the same thing. If there is no insulation then the heat from the rooms below will rise and heat the room above.
As far as using foam instead of fiberglass batts, it would cost at least 10 times as much and would have to be done by a pro. Not a DIY job at all.
By using a Pro if they know what there doing may suggest removing all the old plaster up stairs so 2 X 2's can be added to the rafters so that foam baffles can be added up againt the roof sheathing to allow air flow then add R-13 or 19 depending on how much room there is.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20051865,00.html

Last edited:
I suggested insulation in the floor so that the warm air downstairs won't rise, making the home more energy efficient. This should also keep the upstairs temperature in check during the summer when it's already hotter up there due to radiant heat. Fiberglass batts won't do much of anything to stop radiant heat from moving around and through the fiberglass, which is why I suggested foam. My attic had R-19 bats when I bought the home, and I gutted it to put in foam. I have a little renovation left to do before that goes in, but I was very surprised at how reasonable the cost is. I'm having the entire underside of my roof (shotgun style house) sprayed at 5" deep, and the estimate is just over $1500; not much more than fiberglass would cost. I'm also not venting; just spraying the foam directly on the underside of the roof.

Back