Inventions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the wild goose chase guys.... I didnt think there was such a thing then i found it for sale online with reviews....

Make sure you get all the attachments, and some of that elbow grease they sell.....for the bearings.;)

Sometimes it is all worth it....:D

I was rofl at that site. They should get their forums going, it would be a real hoot. :D

FWIW, a "provisional" patent gets the gears turning at a much lower cost. The only catch is that after one year, you either have to take the next step and make it a "utility" patent, or drop it. We use them all the time to get the early filing date. We're then allowed to add more information to them as we learn more about a particular design. If things are panning out, we'll go ahead and convert to a utility patent. If we're thinking it's not worth it...we drop it.

Provisional patent filing fee is just about $200, unless you're qualified as a "small entity". If you are a "small entity", it's only $105.

A small entity means an independent inventor, a small business concern, or a nonprofit organization eligible for reduced patent fees...

I'm not a patent attorney. I did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so it's probably best to look into this to see what all the costs are.

Good Luck!

I didn't sleep ...O never mind..:D
Who do you see about these small entity or provisionals....sounds like loiurwyer talc ta lil ol me.:D

But it does sound like my kind of direction...to start.:)

I am in the process at this time... Run a Google search and read up on the process. It is not as simple as it sounds. The cost of a patent today will be $5,000.00 or more and take 2-3 years to complete! A friend just finished the process..cost a little over $5,000 and took 3 years! Now he has to find someone that is willing to build the product and give him a share of the profits.

Here is the best reference I've found on how to file PPA's. There's a step by step guide, and everything else you have to know...

Good Luck!

dumblittleman

The "provisional" approach does have time limits and may cost more in the end.

Another approach is to very carefully document your meetings, discussions, research while you develope or refine your concept and determine the market value and customers. - Anyone can get a patent, but unless you can market it or find a solid partner, you are on an ego trip.

Talk about your initial concept (Phase I) while you are developing the concept of the finished concept. Doing this, any copiers or others that sense a development in a an industry will be looking at the old research, while you are devoping the Phase II, III or IV, which can be shown to be the most recent. - This will give you additional credence to your application.

If you are fortunate enough to get a valuable patent, you will have to be able to defend it against the copiers. Since you have the documented research, meeting notes, comments and contempranious notes, you should easily be able to defend it against the people that copied Phases I if you or your partner have the resources to stop the pirates.

The last patent suit I was involved in had over $760,000 on one side invested in legal fees before I was called a year ago.

I checked out the site, and it's accoutrement's. It has the basics...just like I imagined them. Everyone always wants a piece of the action. I know your not supposed to talk to anyone about your idea but...I talked to my brother in-law about "an" idea about something. It is a small world...his father in-law is a patent attorney, this is something I was not aware of.
So long story short...we will meet, and come up with the solution...which I will pick his brain about and hopefully get some realistic answers.
I think my idea is something we in construction will all use, so I want to contribute. If it makes some decent $$, I want to use it to help those folks who need it, to fix their homes. It's the same reason I am on this forum...to help those who need it. You get back what you put in.;)
I'll keep you all posted. :)
760,000...ouch!!

During a meeting with an industry aquaintance, I mentioned I was working on a patent. We met a week later and I recognized his wife as working in a major patent attorney's office. They agressively challenge and fight patents with a heavy hand (2 or 3 pages of listed searches, that may or may not have been really analyzed).

Obviously, I talked about Phase Zero of my idea instead of the real idea.

Now I just have to go around him to get the right people above him to talk to about Phase V. - You never know who you are talking to.

2 years to late....^$#@^@&#& ^%%*(%(()(
Just when you go lookin around, you find all the ideas are taken.:( I figured it out when my son was rolling a plate on the floor.
www.arcusblade.com patent pending....

Back to the other drawing board.:eek:

Back