Countertop Gap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betourne

Reaction score
I just had new countertops installed in my kitchen. I retained my existing marble backsplash that extended 16 inches up from the original countertop material. A change in granite countertop material has resulted in a 5/8 inch gap between the countertop and the first marble tile (installed with thinset). Filling the gap with grout does not seem to work. Cutting 100, or so, slivers of tile to fit in the gap seem to have a simlar lack of eye appeal. Ripping down the tile, replacing the wall board, and redoing the tile seems like a lot of work as does pulling up the countertop and placing a 5/8 inch shim on top of the base cabinets. Any ideas?

How about having a strip of stainless steel or bronze cut and cement it in place. It would add a distinctive touch.

Maybe a different tile as a detail. You could use some sort of sculpted tile or bull nose. 1/2" leaves 1/8 for a grout line.

Another idea... you could install a regular 4 inch back splash of the same material, only thinner over your existing back splash sitting on the new counter.
It fills over the hole and just looks like a back splash. No one is going to miss another half an inch protrusion onto the counter.:)

Back