Bird or mouse stuck in sewer pipe?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
Found a new problem, i heard some scratching coming from the pvc pipe in the basement! This pipe is the vent pipe from the main sewer line in the basement that goes straight up to the roof. There is no screen up there.
Do think this would be a mouse from the sewer system? Some rain lately. Or could it be a bird coming all the way down from the roof?
I notice on the 2nd floor there is a strange cut right though the venting pipe that i put some heavy tape to seal it up last year. I wonder if the previous owner used this to flush out the vent? Should i try to dump some hot water down there?

Depending on the size of the critter, forcing it down may make the situation worse. If you have access to it, it might be better to cut out a chunk of pipe and clearing it.

ya it was a bird, it managed to crawl it's way out. I think it will shove some mess up there up until the end to prevent any other curious bird from entering. Not sure it might have been a nest that hatched.

Back