grouting not so easy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been renovating my father's old garage and it has a driveway of old brick and I was hoping to preserve this look. My mom really loves the driveway the way it is, so I really can't mess this project up. The mortar joints all seem to be uneven and eroded so i was hoping to space them out equally and lay down some grout in between them. I have never laid grout before so if anyone has any comments or suggestions on what is the most convenient method I would appreciate it. I was confused about how much grout to buy and what was required to lay it but I found this video that shed some light on my situation but I could use all the advice I could get.

I think if you want to grout the brick, you're going to need to morter the brick to a concrete slab and then fill in the grout lines, probably with sand/cement morter-- just like building a brick wall laid on its side. Most brick driveways that I've seen are laid in sand and then sand swept into the joints. Sometimes I've seen people mix dry portland cement with the sand that they sweep into the joints to try to make it more secure. In any case, your base prep will make the job.

Welcome FIYSM:
You can make the uneven bricks even by laying a 2' piece of 4 X 4 on top of them and hitting it with a mallet. If some have sunk too low to suit, you could remove them and fill with sand to get the even heigth, then I agree with the sweeping sand into the joints. Keep in mind though, the sand will not stay in place it you are going to sweep it frequently or use a leaf blower on it; that's when you want to add the portland cement to the sand before sweeping it in. When you are satisfied with the bricks and sand/cement, a light fog of water sprayed over the drive will set the cement. Just let the fog fall on it to keep from washing out the sand/cement.
Glenn

Back