Side electrical gig in NY

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsel

Reaction score
I dont have the electrical license but i got an electrical side gig to wire up an standard apartment 2 plus one each room gets a dedicated line for ac . Kitchen gets a dedicated hood line and each room gets an extra box for the tv and then one light and outlets . Im thinking to give them a price for the job but i have no idea since this is going to be my fist whole apartment wire up. Does anyone know how around how much should i charge them ?

How far away is the service, what size is it and how many appt. does it serv, or are you also setting a subpanel?

What about the kitchen appliance circuits or is this a mother-in-law efficiency unit?

NY... as in Manhattan? Or the boroughs? or upstate? That's probably three different price ranges, and probably more. Wiring an apartment means other tenants and the landlord are involved, as well as the super. You best have all your sh*t together for this one.

Well you have to figure out the cost of material, plus how much time you think this will take, and how much you think your time is worth. If this is going to be an old work install, estimate it a bit higher, because whatever time you think it will take, it's gonna take longer. When you deal with old work, the fishing may look easy, but you're walking into a bunch of unknowns. Thoroughly scope out the job as much as possible before you give a bid.

Is the work going to be permitted? Here I can pull an electrical permit to work on my own house, but without a license I can't pull one to work on someone else's house. In nearby Durham County, the homeowner can't pull an electrical permit without taking a test to show they know the code. In multi-family housing doing unpermitted work is asking for a lot of trouble. JMHO.

Is the work going to be permitted? Here I can pull an electrical permit to work on my own house, but without a license I can't pull one to work on someone else's house. In nearby Durham County, the homeowner can't pull an electrical permit without taking a test to show they know the code. In multi-family housing doing unpermitted work is asking for a lot of trouble. JMHO.

I agree. I do 99% of my own electrical work and am a bit of a handy man. I’m fast approaching retirement and have been asked by quite a few people if I want some work they have projects they will hire me for. I know code pretty well and what I don’t know I can figure out, and I wouldn’t take on the project you are looking at even though I know 100% I could do a fine job of it. Reason is im not certified to do it or pull the permit even. If the homeowner wanted to hire me to help him even though I most likely know more than he does, I might do it.

Just a few words of wisdom. If you want to get into this line go take a few classes and do it on the up and up.

I dont have the electrical license but i got an electrical side gig to wire up an standard apartment 2 plus one each room gets a dedicated line for ac . Kitchen gets a dedicated hood line and each room gets an extra box for the tv and then one light and outlets . Im thinking to give them a price for the job but i have no idea since this is going to be my fist whole apartment wire up. Does anyone know how around how much should i charge them ?

Before we get into specifics on this job and before you take it too far I would highly suggest that you find out if you will be pulling the permit or if the owner of the property will be pulling the permit. Then you need to find out if the owner is pulling it will you be able to perform the electrical work without a license. Also, if you do perform the electrical either way you pulling the permit or the owner the biggest concern you should have even more so than the property owner is do you have "liability insurance"?

If something should go wrong with your work and the place catches fire I don't think you would want to pull the cost of damages out of your own pocket once the owner takes you to court and sues you.

In Penn you do not have to have a license to pull a permit by law. However you must have a HIC (contractor number from the Penn Attorney General's Office) which will require you to have at least liability insurance before they will issue it to you.

Some towns and cities in Penn will require on top of that a license issued by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) for that job site location.

You need to get all these specific settled that I mention plus give some real thought to other suggestions made on this thread to you.

The way you phrase your question concerns me as you do not give enough of the more important specifics in your post as to what type of wiring it will be. Meaning, are just adding to existing (as in an older building), are the walls down to studs (this is a very large factor in considering your cost).

I have wired a few apartment buildings (by myself); there is a lot you need to know first. Big "need to know" is NEC and AHJ above and beyond requirements. Those two right there you can bomb out easily.

Who is paying for the cost of materials. You? Or the owner as you need them he/she will buy them?

Don't know if you are saying it is 2 apartments or an apartment with two room.

Are these apartments independent of the main house hot water system, heating system etc. Meaning will they have their own heating (electric baseboard heaters) and hot water system; need to know that so if you have to include in cost of the wiring.

Do they have their own laundry area in each apartment or a common laundry area. If their own you have to figure costs of electrical for a dryer etc.

If this will be inspected you absolutely need to find out of AFCI circuits will be required. If you are adding receptacles to existing you may not need them but going further than that you will and must find out from the inspector prior. They are expensive and take up full spots on the breaker panel so then you need to be sure you have enough circuit places for the number of circuits you need.

For the reasons I have stated above I myself would not even give you an idea of what I would charge because I don't have nearly enough information from what you say. And even then again, you could right out 15 paragraphs and before I would give an estimate I would want to actually see the job site for myself.

A job like this you could very well easily over bid or under bid and each would have consequences. Over bid, you lose the job, under bid you lose your shirt financially.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd Sub it out.
Get a licensed electrician take a look at it that way all questions will be answered.
Of course not being licensed myself I'd have to sub it or walk away, too much risk involved.

Oh and I may be incorrect but if it is where I think it is in NY you may be dealing with conduit use in every aspect of your wiring. Have you ever "bent" EMT? Do you know what EMT is? Do you now how time consuming bending EMT can be; how much waste there can be for incorrect bends etc?

We are not trying to "pound on you" but trying to get you to realize that if you take this "gig" you may end up biting more off than you can chew both physically and more importantly FINANCIALLY.

If it were me I'd Sub it out.
Get a licensed electrician take a look at it that way all questions will be answered.
Of course not being licensed myself I'd have to sub it or walk away, too much risk involved.

Subbing this project out would be ok if the OP in this case "Marsel" knows the "ins" and "outs" and all the CODES (both NEC and AHJ) so when the sub contractor presents his/her price with the "specifics" itemized to "Marsel" he/she can look at the proposal and know for sure that his/her "sub contractor" has his/her "sh$t" together enough. Because, guess what?? Even thought "Marsel" subbed it out "Marsel" would still be "on the hook both financially and liability wise for any "hick-ups" at the end in the job (I am putting this mildly). The "main contractor" bares sole responsibility for the project. If it fails inspection etc, it is up to the main contractor to have the "electrician" return to correct the "errors". The main "contractor" will be sued if there are personal/property issues; good luck tracking down the "sub electrciain" and holding them responsible for any damages either "personal or property" if something goes wrong.

Marsel, any word on this electrical "gig" - Just curious.

You received some very good advise in this thread.

Back