Help Sizing A Header

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that answers all the questions about the basement, thanks.
But, the off set is a problem for the point load, how do you feel about moving your beam to match the beam below, best you like that idea.:)

Last edited:
Well that answers all the questions about the basement, thanks.
But, the off set is a problem for the point load, how do you feel about moving your beam to match the beam below, best you like that idea.:)
How big of a problem? I don't like that idea at all.

Two choices,
1 A beam from the garage to over that beam to pick up the load but it would be cantilevered and would have questionable performance.
2 another beam from the back wall to the steel beam to pick up the load of the bearing point.

Simple math,, if a 4 ply beam to carry the loads of 2 floors. Two should be enough to carry one floor so the beam in the kitchen and the beam in the basement I think could be 2 ply.

On second thought #1 doesn't work does it.

Last edited:
Yeah #2 is simple enough. So back to my original question, are 2 9 1/4 LVLs enough to use for the header?

2 studs under each end of the upper beam and don't forget the solid blocking between the lower beam and the sub floor under those points..:thbup:

Why only 2 studs on each end?

Just curious I have often heard you want the same number as you are removing.

You must be hearing things again.
I a beam pocket like the outside wall it will only fit 2 under it with a king beside it, why would you have more on the other end. But you would add a king at the front of the train.:p

And, any header greater than 6' in length requires them.

And, any header greater than 6' in length requires them.

I think it is 5 ft and greater for 2 jack or cripple studs, some engineers will write in 3 when the mean 2 plus the king and other engineers will write 3 and they want 3 plus the king:hide:

Last edited:
Because you are familiar with commonly used east coast terms, not middle to west coast.

While they were still harvesting grapes in Nova Scotia, they were building skyscrapers in New York.

Running away from the Vikings!

That's not fair,:nono: they maintain the family home where they have been for thousands of years, learned a trade and attempt to be the very best at it and leave home to go to where the work is.:)

Latest posts

Back