Suggestions with Kitchen Sinks???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ral419

Reaction score
Hello!

I am going to begin a kitchen remodel soon and one of our last items to buy is a kitchen sink. I would like a topmout, single, stainless sink. We are spending about 12,000 total on the kitchen so I am not looking for anything too fancy, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

The gauge of the metal and construction is important in stainless. A heavier gauge is better. you will see gauges ranging from 22g to 16g as I recall. A smaller number means heavier steel. The lower number the better. A heavier steel will bean less dents and it will also be quieter. Additionally better sinks will have a dampening material attached make the sink less klanky.

Also there are different qualities of stainless. If a magnet sticks to it its lower quality. "Most stainless steel sinks will come in 300 series stainless steel. Type 304 is the most common and is of good quality. Type 316 is marine grade quality, and is more resistant to corrosion than type 304. Typically, this type of stainless steel isn't found in kitchen sinks, rather, it is used in industrial sinks that might be exposed to chemicals

The other type of stainless steel you might find in sinks is type 430. This is not as good as 304 or 316. Type 430 corrodes easier than 300 series stainless steel." from http://boards.kitchens.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2021067581/m/9771027333

If you haven't already purchased your countertops, it might be worthwhile to ask the countertop company to "throw in" a free sink (and faucet.) Many will do this even if they won't lower the overall price. Just ask questions about the sink they offer and compare it to handyguys post.

thanks for the info!!

When you are measuring the dimensions of the sink, and you are measuring the length, left to right, are you measuring the opening or from the rim of the sink?

Back