how do I wire this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixeltarian

Reaction score
in a bathroom:
I have a GFI outlet and a double switch.

I want the outlet to always have power and the switches to control the light and fan.

previously there was just a light on a pull chain, so I'm drawing power from there. I'm putting in a combo light/fan fixture.

any help is greatly appreciated. thank you so much!

I'd suggest that you go to the library and get a basic home wiring book. You can also get one at the big box home stores.

You'll need to run a wire from the switch to the light / fan. You can either pull power from the GFCI or from the box the light is on now. I'd prefer the GFCI so you can protect the fan and light from accidental shock.

Last edited:
Tell all the cables you have in the switch box.

Tell all the cables you have in the switch box.

What's to tell? :rofl:

Me thinks you mean something else?
I am all for the free book at the library suggestion, in case you run into trouble, they have pictures of what it should look like.

Tell all the cable in the switch box or are you asking us how to run the cables for this?
There are many ways to wire this. Power to switch first. Power to lights first. You already said you are pulling power from an old pull chain light but where did you go with the power? Is there new fixture going in the pull chain location?

Since this is a bathroom you must be using a 20 amp circuit and it must only serve stuff in the bathroom. Existing conditions do not apply since you are modifying the circuit. It must meet current codes.

There's just a hot and a neutral. I've looked up some wiring schemes but none of them match this setup. I talked to a few people and looked at some wiring books. Does this diagram seem right? (sorry it's not an actual schematic, I'm not quite there yet).

wiring.png

That will NOT work. You need to run the hot and the neautral together. Either run both of them through the GFI or none of them. Otherwise, it will trip the GFI with hot skiping the GFI.

Also, You want to ground the light and fan as well. Also, this means the line and fan will be GFI protected. Do you want that?

Last edited:
That will NOT work. You need to run the hot and the neautral together. Either run both of them through the GFI or none of them. Otherwise, it will trip the GFI with hot skiping the GFI.

Also, You want to ground the light and fan as well. Also, this means the line and fan will be GFI protected. Do you want that?

yes I want all of those things. too bad there's not a quick free diagram site that you can just draw lines on so someone can show me how to do it correctly. sad face. :(

Why not just pigtail the white to the GFI LINE side and then everything will work? Why do you need the light and fan protected?

Also, try to avoid using the signs "+" and "-" for AC wiring. They do not really apply.

*EDIT* shoot. that may not work. It clears all your work when you exit. I saw someone come and go already and all the lines disappeared when he/she left... bummer!

check next post.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
this whiteboard will work flawlessly:
Link

just connect the dots and make me squeal with glee at knowing I'm wiring this correctly.

UPDATE:
this whiteboard will work flawlessly:
Link

just connect the dots and make me squeal with glee at knowing I'm wiring this correctly.

Thank you Soooo much! It all makes sense now. I had some ideas about it but trial and error is a painful process when it comes to electrical. I really appreciate the help. I'm pretty good with non-electrical stuff in the remodel so I'll do my best to pay if forward when I see someone else needing help.

thank link doesn't work. if you want a working dabbleboard link for others to join there's a little "invite others" button on the right hand side. just click that and it should give you a proper link. you can register for free too and I think that keeps your board open.

Yes, this will work and the light and fan will not be GFI protected.

Lights over tubs or showers typically do not have to be GFI protected.
Fans usually do.

This is a manufacturer requirement, not the NEC.

not above a shower, just very close to one. it's actually a light/fan combo, but for simplicity's sake I listed them as separate.

The GFCI should have two more terminals labeled "LOAD". If you power the fan / light off these they will also be protected from a shock hazard.

Latest posts

Back