redesigning fireplace/wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadilly

Reaction score
Hey guys, new on the board here. Wondering what kind of input i can get here on the forums.

I have this one wall in our house, fireplace is off centered with a little cubby hold (i assume was to hold the firewood). The bricks are non structurial.

My plan was to make the top half dry wall with a nook for my tv to be mounted. I just wasnt sure what to reface the brick with? We wanted to go with a off white stone or something.

Mississauga-20110712-00122.jpg

First off, Welcome to House Repair Talk!

Now, what about using a colored mortar rub, you will still se the brick outlines but you can change the color to what ever they can make the rub.

Just a thought....

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the flat white stone idea with the nook for the TV above.
Caron5.JPG

But white stone all around up to the bottom of the TV would look great.

This looks nice as well. I guess these are more river bed rocks though

large_228124-264106-011-1307670378.jpg

Just take out enough morter to run you cable and power conduet and fir out an area with 2x4s big enough for your tv and cover that with drywall and add your stone. The mantle looks good.

Thanks for the reply's. Do you think i should just leave the brick veneer and paint it white? I really dont like the look and style of it. I want to have something more modern looking.

What's your view on faux stone veneer? I'm really tempte to use this instead because of ease of use and price.

This is what I came out with.

Just not sure where I should start with my stone veneer. I bought corners for the cubby on the right, should i start from there?

I asked a contractor and he said to start in the center right below the tv, because thats the center of the room?

What's your view on faux stone veneer? I'm really tempte to use this instead because of ease of use and price.

I would be curious on this one also. I am thinking of doing this also because the last time was such a disaster with the real stuff. I ended up having to call the NYC electrician people, a long with plumbers. Let us know how it turns out!

The pro said to start in the center because they never put the corners into the cubby, they just stop there, I would start at the cubby with the corners. If you are planning on a mantle, it would go up before the stone!!
Looks good.

The pro said to start in the center because they never put the corners into the cubby, they just stop there, I would start at the cubby with the corners. If you are planning on a mantle, it would go up before the stone!!
Looks good.

well the pro has never done this application before, they are used to just doing tiles, this is his first experience.

i removed the mantle cause there was not enough room for it.

Thanks for the input. I thought starting from the corners of the cubby made sense too and that my cut pieces would be around the recessed tv

just an update with what i have now. I had to stop for about a month, because of a finger accident (almost sliced it off on table saw)

My question now is. I want to use two pot lights to accentuate the wall.
-Will the pot lights affect the tv? (glare, etc)
-how far away should the pot lights be away from wall be?

Last edited:
Hey dadilly,

I have two pot lights and they are on a dimmer above TV. They have not been a problem at all on my TV. I would mount them off each side of the screen, ie not exactly in front. Divide width of fireplace by thirds and make a mark for lights no more than two feet back. Go real modern and hide some color changing LEDS behind the screen for a neat glow effect.

It is looking real good with the new stone there.

Last edited:
The insert is way to small for that size wall, and being off centered to throws off the whole walls balance. I would have at least moved it over to the the center of the wall and added some form of tile trim around it to make it appear bigger and get rid of that doing nothing hole in the wall. But since you've gone this far concider framing for a door on the right side so you can add a black plexaglass door for your electronic equipment.

Last edited:
Hey dadilly,

I have two pot lights and they are on a dimmer above TV. They have not been a problem at all on my TV. I would mount them off each side of the screen, ie not exactly in front. Divide width of fireplace by thirds and make a mark for lights no more than two feet back. Go real modern and hide some color changing LEDS behind the screen for a neat glow effect.

It is looking real good with the new stone there.

I was really thinking of using the LED behind, but dont want it to be too flashy!

I will take your suggestion with the pot lights. How far away did you put them from the wall? 2 ft?

Back