Gas shutoff

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryslade

Reaction score
I own a 2 and a half story home. It's 112 years old. I've been told that shutting off the main gas valve is a little tricky. Unlike shutting off a water faucet, I have to turn the bolt only so far. Otherwise I'm just shutting the gas off and turning it on again. Can anybody help me with tips on when I would know the gas is off? Thanks

There is usually a stop but if there isn't then ,
Handle in line with pipe - gas on.
Handle perpendicular to pipe = gas off.

gas_valve_position.jpg

The problem is there isn't a handle. Can I buy one of those blue handles at a hardware store? thanks

shut it off at the main. if the two holes align to where it looks like a lock can be installed then the gas is off.
You could always call your utility company to shut it off for you; they should offer this service free of charge.

I own a 2 and a half story home. It's 112 years old. I've been told that shutting off the main gas valve is a little tricky. Unlike shutting off a water faucet, I have to turn the bolt only so far. Otherwise I'm just shutting the gas off and turning it on again. Can anybody help me with tips on when I would know the gas is off? Thanks

Those gas valves get real tight. All you can do is use a pair of channel locks and try turning the valve. It only turns 1/4 turn until the round holes are lined up with each other. If its too tight and you can't turn then don't push too hard.
Call the gas co. and tell them your problem. Paul

The problem is there isn't a handle. Can I buy one of those blue handles at a hardware store? thanks

It may not have an actual handle but it still has something for a wrench to fit on.
Here is an image of the meter shut off. Note the same thing . Inline with pipe = on.

gasshutoff.jpg

Back