Re-Sealing a Wood Deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hello - I am planning to re-seal a wood deck that previously had some type of waterproofing stain (previous homeowners applied) on the deck that is no longer repelling water from being absorbed into the wood. Do I need to use a deck stripper to remove all the old stain/water proofing, or can I just apply a deck cleaner product and then (after drying) apply a new water proofing stain?

I see Thompson's offers a product called "Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner" which both cleans the deck and removes old stains/waterproofers, however it doesn't appear that any of the big-box stores carry this particular product.

Thanks in advance!

I did similar last summer to our new old house. I used a pressure washer first and I feel that does more with water than the cleaner products do with elbow grease. I let it get good and dry and then went with a tinted transparent stain product that went on pinkish but dried to a nice red. They have transparent semi and solid stains. I personally like to see the grain thru the stain. The one I used was Olympic and was the one with the longest rating. Not a cheap date 5 gallon tub was about $150 if I remember right. I have been told to shy away from the Thomson products as they didn’t have the ability to last.
Best tool for putting it on is the pad with fine bristles they sell for deck work with a broom handle and a paint tray. Mine held up great thru the winter except where I had used salt on it. looks like that area will be an annual job.

Thanks for the feedback, so it sounds like I don't need to worry about stripping off the old stain sealer? I can clean the surface any apply directly over? I was just concerned that the new stain may not absorb into the wood if an existing stain sealer was still present, but I obviously don't want to create more work for myself then necessary.

Any tips on applying stain to more hard to reach areas like the railings? A pump-up deck sprayer looks like it would easily work in these types of areas...

Last edited:
I think trying to get any old sealer off would be very hard to do if it is dry and flaky the pressure wash should get that stuff off or you brush over it with a wire brush or similar. The applicator I bought screws to a broom handle but has its own handle and worked pretty nice hand held for rails and such and I use a brush to get in the small tight places. It could be sprayed but at the cost of the product and how when wind born it likes to get on siding I wouldn’t spray it unless the deck was really huge and off on its own.

As to how long to wait after washing it. around here waiting all summer wouldn’t make it drier it would make it wetter as it rains often and once it’s really clean it isn’t treated and would just take on water and then dry out again. I try and time mine when the forecast looks like we are going to have a week with some heat and no rain. After washing a couple days in the heat will get it as dry as you need.

Back