Roof leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
Farm building 3000 sq foot metal roof with a 3/12 pitch. Metal over 3/4 plywood. Water shows up somewhat lower than the peak. The homeowner wants to know what to look for when he goes up there. He also believes there is no paper or anything under the metal.
He also wants to cut in vent for plumbing and want to know best practice.

He is adding a bathroom and the leaks that havn't been important until the bathroom idea came up

The building is five or six years old.

Screw down, with exposed fasteners? Are the panels one piece or pieces.

For the plumbing vent there is a neoprene collar with a metal screw down strip at the base. A tube of water cut-off under the boot and a lot of screws. Try to center in between the ribs if possible. The metal strip allows for forming over ribs.

I think it has exposed screws. The building is 45 ft deep so each side of the roof will be about 25 to 30 ft, so I think pieces.

Check the gromets on the screws, they are good for anywhere from 5-10 years. You may have to replace them if they are deteriorated.

Check the lap seams where the panels overlap. There should be a sealant of butyal tape there. If not, wind driven rain can be pushed up under the laps.

Any chance or is there somthing to look for where wind might blow rain up the ridge? I have no intention of climbing a 30 ft ladder to look at it and he won't want to do it to meny times, so I want to give all suggestion at one time.

Where the ridge runs over the panels there should be foam "closures" that seal the top panel against the ridge cap. If they are not there or have become deteriorated, they can be replaced by backing out the screws and installing new closures with new screws. You can find them at the big box stores in the roofing section.

Any chance or is there somthing to look for where wind might blow rain up the ridge? I have no intention of climbing a 30 ft ladder to look at it and he won't want to do it to meny times, so I want to give all suggestion at one time.

Awe come on, it's not that high...

They will get up and look it over when the plumber puts the vent thru the roof, couple weeks away.

Back