Two feet of snow forecast for Washington

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nestor_Kelebay

Emperor Penguin
Reaction score
Man, I don't envy those guys. Not only is that one helluva lot of snow, it's all heavy and won't be easy to blow or plough. The city is gonna come to a standstill until they clear that stuff.

The only saving grace is that it's right on the east coast so if there's warmer weather to follow, it probably won't cause much flooding. If that much snow fell further inland and started melting quickly, it'd cause floods.

If that's the case, then everybody should ready their selves.. :hide:

It is probably melting from the ground up even if it is snowing. The ground temps in DC are warm enough to melt and allow absorption into the soil, especially if it warm, wet snow. That amount will take a lot longer if it is the light fluffy stuff over previous snows.

Dick

That's a good point about absorbtion into the ground, Mudmixer. A lot of the snow melt just ends up making the ground wetter.

Still, Washington probably isn't well prepared for heavy snowfalls, so it'll probably take them a few days to dig out of this one.

With all the hot air in that city I don't understand why the temperature would ever fall below 90*, ever.

And now there's another 12 inches of snow forecast.

Man, those guys are getting hit real hard this winter. I just hope that people over there can stock up on the necessities. Even if the roads aren't cleared, normally the priority will be on clearing the major arteries and bus routes so that if you can get to a bus stop, you can then normally get to a grocery store. You don't realize how important baby food and diapers are until you're out of them. Ditto for toilet paper.

And now there's another 12 inches of snow forecast.

Man, those guys are getting hit real hard this winter. I just hope that people over there can stock up on the necessities. Even if the roads aren't cleared, normally the priority will be on clearing the major arteries and bus routes so that if you can get to a bus stop, you can then normally get to a grocery store. You don't realize how important baby food and diapers are until you're out of them. Ditto for toilet paper.

I've run out of all three in non emergency situations and it was miserable. I would imagine a total lack of access makes it substantially worse.

This pic is about an hour old
IMG_1116.jpg

Well, Wazzat, now you know exactly what we feel like after a good blizzard dumps a pile of snow on us.

If it makes you feel any better, I can try to get you recognized as an "honorary Canadian".

What's it going to take for me to an "honorary Canadian"? Those pics are great.

Re: Washington DC area.

Bunch of friggin whiners!!!:hide:
I'm sick of hearing about it already.
The national news media didn't say anything when we got buried a few weeks ago. No one knew we were even here. Every road in the county had to be closed, snow drifts 10, and 12, and 15 feet deep. Railroads at a standstill. Snow plows unable to negotiate the roads. Law enforcement office-bound. Emergency equipment crippled. Power lines down, everything coated with ice.

Did you see us complainin"?

Jheeeezh! What a bunch of cry babies.:)

Nebraska is more ready for it I guess. If we have a flurry and nothing sticks to the ground we shut down. We just can't do anything in it. Our entire state is helpless when there's ice on the ground. School is let out. Public offices are closed. People go home early.

Re: Washington DC area.

Bunch of friggin whiners!!!:hide:
I'm sick of hearing about it already.
The national news media didn't say anything when we got buried a few weeks ago. No one knew we were even here. Every road in the county had to be closed, snow drifts 10, and 12, and 15 feet deep. Railroads at a standstill. Snow plows unable to negotiate the roads. Law enforcement office-bound. Emergency equipment crippled. Power lines down, everything coated with ice.

Did you see us complainin"?

Jheeeezh! What a bunch of cry babies.:)
I tried getting down to pavement under my tires with 10 gals. of hot water applied to each. Now the wheels are in the air and the car body is supported by snow.
Now I have to depend on

"The snow layers continue to compress and add weight and pressure to the layers below, which causes continuing relegation, and therefore movement."

with the weight of the car assisting in the melting/relegation.
Maybe I should make a video of this. . .:(

Last edited:
Hey It's a bitch for everybody - no denyin' that. But if you watch the national news broadcasts that's all they can talk about. Must be nothing going on on Capitol Hill either.

The weather guys put on their mittens and go stand on a windy corner and bitch. They show cars in drifts and trucks jack-knifed and tow trucks parked and talk about school closings. Big deal! That's winter folks, live with it. You don't see those people around Denver crying about it.:rolleyes:

I don't know I am not in Denver. I am in Texas were we have unusually hot summers every year and at worst we freeze one day. Winter to me is Two weeks after the first. Otherwise it's just less warm than the rest of the year. For being the greatest state ever we sure don't get much in the way of seasons.

Hey It's a bitch for everybody - no denyin' that. But if you watch the national news broadcasts that's all they can talk about. Must be nothing going on on Capitol Hill either.

The weather guys put on their mittens and go stand on a windy corner and bitch. They show cars in drifts and trucks jack-knifed and tow trucks parked and talk about school closings. Big deal! That's winter folks, live with it. You don't see those people around Denver crying about it.:rolleyes:
The weather guys/girls around here do stupid stuff, and they get very well paid to do it.
If it's not CO poisoning then they have no excuse.

I spent 13 years in Denton Texas and loved every minute of it. Almost each winter along about the end of January the temperature would drop into the teens for about seven or eight days and there would be one ice storm. Ice would coat the roads as much as - oh hell - all the way up to 1/8" thick and it shut down everything. Eighteen wheelers off the roads in the ditches in mass. Those guys travel all over, I never did understand why they would come to Texas and leave their brains at the state line.

Twelve hours later all was well and by the first week in February we were all getting ready to plant the gardens.

Even the hottest of the hot summers wasn't a big deal. All of my work then was out of doors and we would be sitting on the job waiting for the sun to come up so we could at least work until noon or one o'clock before we went home for the day. There were a few days we had to go home at eleven a.m. and the A/C felt really good.

"With its hot, humid summers and cool winters, the climate of Denton is characterized as humid subtropical. Dry winds reach the area in the summer and can bring temperatures to 100 °F (38 °C), although the average summer temperature is in the mid-90s. The coolest month is January with temperatures dropping down to an average minimum of 32 °F (0 °C).[18] Average snowfall in Denton is similar to the Dallas-Fort Worth average of 2.4 inches (6.1 cm) per year.[19] Denton lies on the bottom end of the Tornado Alley area. Although tornadoes rarely form, tornado watches are issued by the National Weather Service. Flash floods and severe thunderstorms are frequent occurrences during the months of spring.[20]

The city's all-time high temperature is 113 °F (45 °C), recorded in 1954, while the all-time recorded low is −3 °F (−19.4 °C). Denton receives approximately 37.7 inches (96 cm) of rain per year.[18]"

Back