installing shutters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atwt

Reaction score
I need to install some vinyl shutters to my house and I have some questions. When installing shutters to a house with vinyl siding, should I install the shutters into the existing holes in the siding where the old shutters were attached or would it be preferable to drill new holes instead? Do I need to take any special precautions when installing these shutters in cold weather to prevent the siding from cracking?

I need to install some vinyl shutters to my house and I have some questions. When installing shutters to a house with vinyl siding, should I install the shutters into the existing holes in the siding where the old shutters were attached or would it be preferable to drill new holes instead? Do I need to take any special precautions when installing these shutters in cold weather to prevent the siding from cracking?

I would suggest using the same holes that the old shutters used, less holes in the wall. If you still have the old shutters use them as a template to locate the holes to drill in the new shutters. I wouldn't worry about the weather getting cold enough to install the shutters. Vinyl goes up on job sites all year long around here.

If for some reason you do have to drill new holes it would be advisable to plug up the old holes not just in the siding but, in the sheathing.

The instructions that came with the shutters say that you should avoid installing them in cold weather because you could damage the siding when drilling the holes. We are not sure if we can use the existing holes since the new shutters are slightly different in size. How warm does it need to be when the shutters are installed to prevent the siding from cracking when the holes are drilled into the siding?

I believe they are concerned about the expansion of the plastic shutters when it gets warm so I would drill out the hole a little bigger than necessary, and don't tighten the screw fully. This should allow enough room for expansion.

I have been told that it is "best" to install any plastic product within the mediam temperature range of your area due to the expansion and contraction characteristics of the material. As stated above, drill out your holes a fraction larger and do not torque down on the fasteners. Allow some room for movement but still keep them secure. Of course, the weather or temperature is never always at an optimum range, but by not installing them in 90+ or 40 deg. and under weather will help keep them from excessive strains of expansion and contraction.

Back