Finishing a cutting board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left over hardwood flooring is good wood for cutting boards, free or cheap. But the compitition is all the retired guys doing for something to do and like spending a day at the flee market, talking to people.

People are always looking for bathroom vanities that look like furniture. Develope a couple designs that fit your abibility and tools and take them to the market, take orders to fit their needs and measurements.

I've done a couple cutting boards. When it came to finishing I purchased a 1 litre treatment specifically made for butcher block made by Watco. It's safe for butcher block, cutting boards, wooden utensils, etc.
Worked out well. They also sell natural oils. Price about $15.

BoltonBen
Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Last edited:
This may be ridiculous question but can you use any hard wood to make a cutting board? And are their safer glues than that

generally speaking, any tight grained hardwood would be ok, but there are exceptions, such as teak, which is an oily wood and would give food a bad taste. Open grain woods such as red oak will allow bacteria to thrive in the pores
It would be best to stick to the standard woods such as maple and cherry, and most other fruit woods
For glues, I would use an epoxy,as once it cures it is safe for food

Back