Is this a weight bearing wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you measure the ceiling height in the attic. You said you wanted to create a loft but i only see about 5' of ceiling height at the peak. After you build down the rafters to insulation need min of 9.5 inches it might be even more where you live. Then you will have to add floor joists that can span the width of the house. If your lucky a 2x12 may work . Its going to be alot of work for something an 8 year old will not be able to stand up in.
If it was me I would take the whole roof off and create a single roof plane making your deck a covered deck. This will give you the ceiling height for a real bedroom.
thanx but that is impossibly outside my budget. Budget is one reason for a Micro Home design aim in this project. Home is tiny...... only like 650sq feet now.
You can use a mix of trusses that will frame out the bedroom for half of it and a cathedral for the other half.
Yeah that is one idea. Guess reality says I have to go with putting ceiling right on the rafter's.. maybe with a fir strip added to get correct depth for insulation?? Have exposed collar ties. Also this has a sharp peak....... I'd say 7 foot peak above rafter right now. Hipe Im not wrong on the height. I'll get further up there and measure and do pics. Attic area is totally open with nothing between joist and rafter.

Standing is not a MUST have either if it is thought of as a sleeping loft or office loft......... climb up and sit or lay. Arrange it to where your top of climb puts you right onto bed or chair. Not much different than the way a home is designed for wheelchair bound folk when it comes to everything being designed to work from a sitting situation. Yeah....... Im not afraid to think and do outside the box.

Last edited:
Looking closer i see you only have 7' ceiling on the ground floor. No wonder why you want cathedral ceilings. I had 7' ceilings, I couldnt stand it. I had to blow off the roof.
Im surprised you have 7 feet in the attic.
I wouldnt call the inspector on this project. There is min heights for a finished attics

In the cathedral part i dont think having raised collar ties every 3rd rafter will look bad. Stain it or paint it white and it will add some character

....Im surprised you have 7 feet in the attic.
I wouldnt call the inspector on this project. There is min heights for a finished attics
I hope my eyes are seeing right. Will measure soon. Damn regulations........ hope they dont totally screw me up on this. It's NOT a "finished" attic. Just an overbuilt storage loft? Might be better way to go about it so they don't require stairs. Just want a ladder. Old school.......... Log cabin appeal. Little house on the Prairie thing.

In the cathedral part i dont think having raised collar ties every 3rd rafter will look bad. Stain it or paint it white and it will add some character
If not stain then I'd box them in and put faux log on them. Maybe I can use ruff cut lumber for the Collar's and stain that? The interior & outer walls getting matching log siding. Ceiling??? maybe panelling so it looks like actual interior side of wood of roof??

Last edited:
Well I'm an idiot. Yep in the attic it is only about 4.5 feet from top of joist to roof at the peak. The slope of the roof makes it impractical to put the usable area of a loft anywhere but dead center to the peak/room.

Tried to take pics but phone's flash could not light up total darkness.

Joist- 16" apart and are 2x6

Rafters- 16" apart except a few which may be to accommodate for total dimension nondivisable by 16"? or something to do with that being area of chimney thru roof? They are all 2x6 as well.

Is that over built spacing? Will that cause issues (good or bad) with Vaulting when it comes to the possibility of using double collar ties and skipping some as addressed earlier?

Roof is 1x12 boards

Will have to do something creative for example in bedroom; Vault the ceiling and lower the loft floor in one section large enough for bed/or office. Underneath is drawers etc. or desk w/roll chair (so no need to stand).

Other option is vault ceiling in bedroom and add a "pull down from ceiling type bed".. except it pulls down only a foot or two and you climb into it as if it was a loft. "pull down loft?" Below that would be office? (so again with rolling chair no need to stand if bed in lower position? Trying to create "perception" of openness in a small space with loft like design as well as accommodate for GF or Spouse who may want to stay up later than the other.

bedup-hanging-bed.jpg

Not sure how to to do second sleeping space with such low attic space. Can't really set up to drop the loft height anywhere else but bedroom cause moving thru the house you would hit your head on it; like in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom.

Except......... hmmm???. Drop or fold down single bed over the washing machine and dryer. This is a nook that is on outside wall of the kitchen space. Nook created cause of carving out bathroom space into the square footage of kitchen area. One wall basically bisects the original house separating it into two rooms. One is the bedroom. Other is the kitchen/bathroom.

Remember the area discussed previously for lofting in other post was is the addition living room space. Needing to have usable loft height means loft would run awkward in that space IMHO

hmmmmmmm. For width would require removing one section of kitchen cabinets. For height; since it is on outer wall, thus requiring 3 foot or so drop........ would require folding or drop down bed and removing/modifying the hot water heater which is taller than W/Dryer. go tankless? Space is approx. 5'x8' after removing the kitchen cabinets shown.
floor ruff.jpg
2153.jpg
2166.jpg

Open to ideas

Attachments

• 2167.jpg
    2167.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
You may want to look at some campers and trailers and how they sneak things into small areas.
I've done that far more than most. Lived in 16ft RV thru much of college and Grad. school and camped in them with family monthly prior to that since about age 9yr

I don't know how your bathroom is laid out but can you access the washer and dryer from the bathroom if you Flip them around. if so you can box in the washer dryer hot water heater from the nook side and put a bet on top. If you have room maybe that can be your office too.
Another option would be to add small addition closet for the washer dryer and hot water heater. I bet the cost of materials would be close to that of a tankless hot water heater.

I don't know how your bathroom is laid out but can you access the washer and dryer from the bathroom if you Flip them around. if so you can box in the washer dryer hot water heater from the nook side and put a bet on top. If you have room maybe that can be your office too.
Had grow on me a little but after some deeper contemplation...... I Like your direction. Intawesting hmmm

Another option would be to add small addition closet for the washer dryer and hot water heater. I bet the cost of materials would be close to that of a tankless hot water heater.
Yeah a portable shed outside is an idea that hit me for this. Would require full cold snow weather insulation and heating or you would avoid washing anything in the winter due too it being to cold to tackle a task you hate doing anyway. You could freeze dry your clothes maybe?

Thinking deeper on the idea of relocating things in the nook area and/or an addition to house them....... how about both?

Stack the washer dryer in the bathroom. Move the hot water heater outside into a small tall box that is Super Insulated. (hot water freezes easier)

Turn nook into high bed with wardrobe below. Would remove need to vault kitchen area which I didnt want to do. Really only wanted to vault living room area and bedroom.

There is again an avenue not yet explored and that is a trap door with a bed and wardrobe below. This is a pier and beam home.

Also another thing that could open other doors (pardon the pun) but could also move the bedroom door back to its original location which was in the wall separating the kitchen from the bedroom. It was moved at some point when the addition was added.

Last edited:
Pink is porch. this is off county website so only outer dimensions are shown. At work now. Will late tonight redraw with interior walls

Planning for adult couple and a child. I have to upgrade toward that goal in order to redo financing with a bank by Sept. 2015 so I can pay off the balance to the present owners whom is financing at this time. Banks would not finance it cause of several reasons with the largest being there is ZERO single bed homes in the area thus they have no comparables in order to create a value to base a loan on.

Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd.png

I think you have to have a better understanding of what the bank will need for you to qualify the house for a loan. In newer homes (bigger) they often have what they call flex rooms that would be plenty big enough for a bed room but do not have a door for privicy, a closet and an egress window. You can sleep anyware you want but the bank likely is talking about a second bedroom with all the requirements. I would start with a letter of understanding with more than one loan company on what they would find acceptable.

I did the same thing in my last house its a lot easier to refianace than getting a mortgage.
If that is you main concern for the bank. Then make sure that 2nd bedroom is at least 70 square feet. That is the min for bedroom. You can leave washer and drier in there then when the appraiser comes take them and hide the hookups with a piece of furniture.

Thanks guyod, I hadn't herd min. size before. Just for getting the loan a temp wall dividing the bedroom would likely be enough, perhaps another window. I would do something like that and plan for an addition after the sale. Like building where the deck is and a bonus room could be built in to the new roof line.

If my plans go right......... One thing Im shooting to add value to this land/home package nearly instantly for a minimal cost is I am adding a Micro Home with a value of approx $20,000 onto the land. Bank may consider it a Mobile-home/Modular home or may not cause though it is NOT modular construction; it is transported on wheels to location. Who knows then what they will call it. So in the house we have been discussing I "may" not HAVE to meet the second bedroom need for improving odds of getting bank financing in 2015

It is SOLID "real" 12'x20' LOG construction home. Each Log is 4"thick and 8" in height w/chinking. Comes with a high quality Metal Roof. Not metal "mobile home roof"....... but "Residential" Metal roof. To purchase same unit new it is $47,000 so no it is NOT one of those side of the road storage units that look like fake log cabins you can tow with your dually truck into your back yard. This one is approx 6 years old. Full kitchen and 1/2 bath. I already own it. It is going to cost me approx $10,000 though to move it from it's location in TX to here in OH. I move it here over Xmass break coming up. Adding an addition to this home here will cost way over 10 grand cause it would HAVE to be done via contractors and not by me even though I'ld get all proper permits. Already got estimates. Just adding a roof to the porch was estimated at 10grand.

Also by time Im refinancing I will have had 3 years of steady employment. Before that I was homeless nearly 3 years trying to find work after the economy crushed the business I dreamed and saved to start for thirty years. Banks obviously didn't like that work history so could not get traditional or even FHA home long. They didn't care that I used EVERYTHING (but the cabin itself and a few Diesel Motorcycle project parts) to keep the biz open for 4 years till I had nothing left. Went thru approx quarter million dollars out of pocket trying to keep the biz open. So Im a little stubborn.

Finally gave up and left TX to find work. There were only 3 full time jobs in my coaching field in the whole eastern US. None of them in TX. Been doing the same career since I was a young teen. Added a BS with four college degree areas and MA work in Biomechanics/Motorlearning holding myself to higher standard of academic preparation to be professional in the science of coaching gymnastic sports.. sorry....... got long winded.......

Any way point is; chose to finance this particular small home here in OH, cause one; it is on one acre thus having room to add the cabin which gives me instant increased value. Two; After remodelling this little home it will match well with the rustic Log home living Im shooting for. Add a barn (shop/garage with barn look) and I'll be in fat heaven) Price was under 40 grand so that helped too. A hidden gem. Another plus to this location in OH. It is in good driving distance of several colleges with reputable nursing/medical school programs

So yes the home we have been discussing about vaulted ceilings lofting etc. will eventually get siding interior/exterior to match the cabin as well as metal roof. Hopefully can roll that into the financing in 2015. High quality log cabin siding (ruff honed flat Amish Log pine look with white chink between logs.) This will match the cabin's look though it is true log construction. I will rent out cabin to college students. Much Later in life I will trade a nursing student or nursing student w/small family room and board in the home to be my care taker. I will live in the cabin. . Least that is the thinking.

images.jpg

images2.jpg

Last edited:
Boy that is quite a story, any chance of backing the cabin up to the house and calling it a bedroom.

Boy that is quite a story, any chance of backing the cabin up to the house and calling it a bedroom.
When I tried FHA financing they said NO but Im still unsure. That was my original thought too though doing it that way also does not fit as well with the idea of renting it out nor trading for medical attendant in distant future. What college student or small young family wants to "live" with an old man lol. (Im 51 now)

Its good to hear your back on track. I like your plan and have debated doing something similar. There is so many laws and regulations doing it legally is sometimes impossible or too expensive. Its not the bank that determines if your cabin is mobile or modular its the township. What ever they stamp on your tax record is what it is to the bank. You would need a proper foundation for the town to even consider it being a permanent structure. There is zoning, code laws, well and septic electrical issues. I would talk to your local inspector sooner than later. You may find out that its best to cut your loses and sell the cabin in TX.

Its good to hear your back on track. I like your plan and have debated doing something similar. There is so many laws and regulations doing it legally is sometimes impossible or too expensive. Its not the bank that determines if your cabin is mobile or modular its the township. What ever they stamp on your tax record is what it is to the bank. You would need a proper foundation for the town to even consider it being a permanent structure. There is zoning, code laws, well and septic electrical issues. I would talk to your local inspector sooner than later. You may find out that its best to cut your loses and sell the cabin in TX.
Zoning allows modulars in this area. Already verified. An "oversized" for this house On site sewage system (septic tank/leach field) was installed 3 or 4 years ago and "should" allow for adding cabin to it without much fuss. Cabin was desinged for RV park installation as a rental unit there for it simply "Plugs in" to a 220v outlet. 2003 remodel of house had 220v power line brought into house. Split off 110 in the rewire of home. Not sure if they did half the house on one leg of 110 and other half as other leg? That is how cabin is done I know that. Anyway sounds then like electrical hook up should be relatively easy with a 220 line already present. A single drain 6" septic drain pipe from cabin too septic tank should suffice as well. The over kill of 220V and septic in the remodel is another reasons I set out to purchase this house.

but your right....... I should do further clarification ASAP. I HAVE to move the cabin by Jan. 1st no matter what.

Do counties keep permit records? Should I not be able to look up all the permits and associated drawings connected to the changes in septic and remodel in 2003? Remodel was basically a full restoration of the home.

Last edited:
I don't doubt you can put the cabin on your property. I was questioning making it a legal apartment. You can't just park Rvs, mobile homes, or cabins on your property and rent them out. There is zoning and code laws you need to find out. You can always do an illegal rental but trying to evict a tentant for not paying on an illegal rental could be ...awkward in court.

Back