What's that smell?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
It's strange, really odd coincidence. Okay first i ordered some wallpaper off of ebay, it came from Germany. I also order some raw upholstry from a ebay seller in US. Both cost around $250usd. Then I check my mail box and i get two notices about 3 weeks later, they both arrived at the same time.
I go to pick them up and it's strange because they made a mistake both packages had the $43.23 duty owning. I pointed out how this would be unlikely that two packages would have the exact duty. So the reduced on down to $.01 because they system wouldn't let them otherwise.
Okay here is the weird part. I get the stuff home and start to check it out, but i notice that both the 80 sq feet of leather and the 'vinyl' wallpaper smell...the same! Like sort of playdo smell not very harsh, a sort of natural chemical smell. The wallpaper is suppose to be 'enviro-friendly' as i guess the upholstery dealer might claim as well. I'm a bit concerned since it will be somewhere to sit and exposed to the body.
Any idea of what the smell is or the chemical? It is a coincidence, it seems these two produces use the same chemicals....:2cents:

Are you sure you just don't have a sensitive nose?:) You could take samples to a lab and find out what you have.

I'm just wondering what would be the common chemcial used, maybe my nose is sensitive, but i think it can tell when two things smell the same.

I hung some of the wall paper today, it has that playdo smell, but it's not offensive. Must be something they use to treat the leather....

I was trying to be funny because you had the smelly floor too. Wall paper often smells a little when you put it up and should go away.
Leather tanning can have smells, if they used natural solution it can smell musty, the other can smell like chemicals

Well the bamboo floor went back to lowes, it definitely was bad batch for formaldehyde.
The wallpaper turn out great and not much smell, they call it vinyl, not real sure what it is some plastic.
btw, see that supporting wall and see what is holding it up?? it seems to be 3/4" mitred wood of some sort, maybe hollow...

ABC_1100.jpg

I think i have to paint the baseboard and stair case. Maybe white. It doesn't watch anything, it's some sort of thick 'cherry varnish' Terrible stuff. The chimney, white or black quartz veneer? I think black! Nice deal on kijiji for $4 a sq/ft.

I think the vinyl is just the top layer of the paper.
If you were talking about the post in the forefront of your photo, that should be two or three studs with the finished wood wraped around to make it pretty, it should also have the same number of studs in the basement directly below to carry the load to the footing
White trim is in style, it's a shame when you have to paint expensive hardwood to make it look like cheap mdf, I've done it too.

Back