Mice getting into attic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FixItOnce

Reaction score
Hello to all.

This summer, I had mice get into my attic, presumably from the hole seen in the corner of the photo. My question is how do you properly seal roof boards to a stone wall like this, to prevent vermin from getting into the attic?

Thanks for any help.

Pat

121007_0000.jpg

Try stuffing some steel wool in there, mice don't like steel wool, leaves a bad taste in their mouth...oh, and :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Thanks oldog. What do you think about using some epoxy "putty" to seal off the hole? I don't doubt that steel wool will deter the mice, but I would still have that hole there.

Use the steel wool as backer for caulk. Fill hole with caulk in two or three built up layers, let each set a while B4 next, a big one shot blob may fall out. Any good quality paintable caulk that will adhere to stone and wood will do.

"steel wool, leaves a bad taste in" my mouth too. I find that if i drench it in jalapenos and cheeze whiz it is a bit more palatable.

Use peanut butter on traps to kill the ones who get in somewhere else. Watch out for your fingers while adjusting the traps for a hair trigger. Depending on your attic climate the corpse will mummify.

Back