uphill flow toilets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudolty

Reaction score
Hello All

We are wanting to move our bathrooms from the back of the house to the front of the house at this time the problem is that the sewer is at the back of the house (around 50 feet from the front in length) and slightly uphill. Does anyone know if it is possible to move the bathrooms without having to move the sewer?

Where does the sewer come into the house under the basement floor ,middle of the wall ,or at grade? If there would be enough space to run the pipe at 1/8 inch pitch for 50 feet or 6 1/4 inches(min. pitch for 3 or 4" pipe). If you have the room then you will have to run vents up for the new bath. Most homeowners want the unsightly roof vents on the backside of the house (attic work):( . Moving a bath in any home is very pricey.

If it is possible to drain by a gravity drain you must do that.
If gravity drainage is not possible then a pump system can be used.

Is this a town sewer system? The first thing you need to do is use a transit and check the slope of the existing sewer and the exit from the house. When I build a house, i make sure we keep the slope as close to the floor joists and drop it down the outside wall on the inside. I like the sewer pipe to be at least 3' under ground going out of the house. If you have a septic system you can check the input pipe at the inspection cover. Anyway, anything is possible, if you can swing it. Good luck. G

If its town sewer, you may not have enough fall out side the house to lower the main. Most plumbers run a pipe from the exit from the house and the county will put the stub at your property line. Its cheaper to make a straight run, point A to point B. With septic the tank is set under the ground and usually is lower out side of the house. The main thing with running sewer, is getting it to fall correctly and not to slow. When I build a house and have the septic tank installed, I like the pipe as low as possible exiting the house. I an addition is installed and is on the far side of the house and away from the septic. We can still get a bathroom in the addition with the extra fall. G

Latest posts

Back