Garage Door Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepzeke

Reaction score
I have a craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener that is having problems closing both with the wall mount and the remotes. The door goes down about 6 inches then goes back up. When I hold down the wall mount to get back the 6 inch point it goes about half way then back up. I have done the following to no avail: 1) adjusted the close force 2) realigned the sensor eyes and the lighting says they are aligned properly 3) Manually opened and closed the garage door and the door moved easily.

When closing the door the LED light blinks 4 times and according to the manual I should realign the sensor eyes or make sure the door track is firmly secured to the wall, which it is.

When the door closes there is a lot of shaking going on. Could this be a problem with the tightness of the chain. The chain does have a lot of give when the door is open but is taught when closed.
What should I try next? Thanks

Welcome to the site: could it be (the shaking going on) is moving the track enough to knock the lights out of wack while it is coming down.

When the door shakes... the eyes do not read. Its like shaking your head and trying to see straight. The eye moves just a little, and the beam is off by feet on the other side.
The door track could be not aligned, or check your rollers for oiling and movement. If they bind, it causes a push back on the sensor which will also open the door.
Smooooooth....is what you need.

I will try lubrication but it seemed to me things were fine. Also, the door worked finea few weeks ago but the door froze to the ground due to the coldness and "popped" open a few times. Could this have effected anything?

I did watch the eyes a few times and there was no blinking or any other sign of the sensors not keeping in contact.

Did you check the springs, are they ok with the door opener tension??

My garage door has issues when we get snow and freezing, because the door gets heavier if there is ice stuck to the bottom.

Just went out and looked at the eyes super close and I'm guessing that is the problem as one blinks very quickly when the door shakes. Could a new eye sensor solve this, they are 10+ years old (opener is about 4). It seems like the initial shake is causing this but I have no idea how to address that.

OK I think it is fixed and sadly it was so simple that I am embarrassed to post it here, but here it goes. The initial jolt of the opener starting shook the tracking just enough to jar the eye sensor to barely blink. I then put in another bolt into the ceiling through the bracing to secure the unit and lessen shaking. It worked. Thanks for all your input.

OK I think it is fixed and sadly it was so simple that I am embarrassed to post it here, but here it goes. The initial jolt of the opener starting shook the tracking just enough to jar the eye sensor to barely blink. I then put in another bolt into the ceiling through the bracing to secure the unit and lessen shaking. It worked. Thanks for all your input.

There are no dumb questions but some of the answers can be questionable, glad it worked out for you.:beer:

HEY... another satisfied customer.... wait... if the advice is free... umm.. Another Person helped!!..
Glad it worked, I knew that was the issue... I fight with them all the time.
Just make sure you grease up those rollers, it makes for a smooth ride.;)

Latest posts

Back