stinky garbage dispoal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonriffel

Reaction score
What can I do to get rid of a foul smell coming from our garbage disposal?

This is usually caused by turning off the water before all the things you have chopped up are gone. Food is probably laying inside the disposer and rotting. You can use a 50/50 mixture of bleach and water or baking soda followed with vinegar. The soda and vinegar will foam up.

I used some apple cider vinegar a few days ago. I couldn't find any white. It is better, but not completely gone. Does it have to be fresh baking soda, or can I just use some of what's in our refrigerator?

The stuff from the frig should still cause a foaming action that will get into the tight spots when mixed with the vinegar. place the soda in the disposer first and then add the vinegar.

All of you have the same idea I do. It could be the rubber gasket where the food goes into the garbage disposal needs replacing. Mold etc. gets built up around it. I take ours out frequently and it's always dirty. I wash it and put it back in.

I run coffe grounds through it regularly while running blistering hot water. The beans are supposed to sharpen the blades and the hot water kills the bacteria making the smell.

Back