Power feeding into ground

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkEngbrock

Reaction score
If I'm barefoot and touch outside faucet i get shock. Tested 7 volts from dirt to faucet. 30 ft. Away is ground rod for main panel. I put ground lead of volt meter in dirt and red on ground wire and again measured 7 volts. What is the best way to trace this back to the cause. Any help would be great

We are all waiting for someone to gives you the shocking truth!! Well the tree won't give any dumb ideas. I have no idea, ground should be ground.

Just a thought--is it possible there might be some cross-feeding going on, from a low-voltage source? An improperly wired door bell transformer comes to mind. Have you done any improvements recently that could have shorted a door bell circuit, like nailing or screwing fasteners into framing that your spigot is shorting out through?

If I'm barefoot and touch outside faucet i get shock. Tested 7 volts from dirt to faucet. 30 ft. Away is ground rod for main panel. I put ground lead of volt meter in dirt and red on ground wire and again measured 7 volts. What is the best way to trace this back to the cause. Any help would be great

My first thought would be a bad connection at the ground rod and possibly an element in a water heater leaking current. You said you measured from the ground wire to earth, what about from the rod to earth or rod to wire? I would hook up your meter to one of the points you are reading the 7 volts and start turning off breakers until you loose the voltage and then find out what is not working. I would get someone who knows what they are doing to check out the ground rod and connection. Be careful as this could be a dangerous situation.

Back