Large brown patch on front lawn

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSubmarine

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a lawn problem. I have a relatively small lawn, but a fairly large section of my lawn is turning very brown. I think I have St. Augustine grass, and I live in southern Louisiana (it's only starting to get cool here, but it could be warm again tomorrow). I know that it is supposed to brown in the winter, but the rest of the grass looks fine. I've attached a picture of my lawn to this post (hopefully it'll work... this is the first time I'm posting on this forum).

I'd rather try to fix this problem without having to hire anyone (mostly out of pride - I'm a big fan of "don't hire someone if you can do it yourself").

I appreciate any help/advice. I'm a first time home owner, and I'll be honest - I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to lawn care.

IMG_0851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
could be grubs or beetles (not the musical kind:p ) or something like that. While you have the shovel out, cut out a small patch and flip it over. You may find the visitors. Or at least you can see if the root system looks healthy

It is odd that it is rectangular in shape and just in that corner with fairly straight edges. Did any one clean up after spraying roundup right there.

I know you don't want to hire anyone, but check with a reputable lawn spray company in your area, such as Slug-A-Bug. I also have a St. Augustine lawn that looked like yours when it became infested with chinch bugs. They can eliminate the problem with just a few applications of their bug killer. If you wait they spread fast and you'll loose your entire lawn.

Last edited:
I know you don't want to hire anyone, but check with a reputable lawn spray company in your area, such as Slug-A-Bug. I also have a St. Augustine lawn that looked like yours when it became infested with chinch bugs. They can eliminate the problem with just a few applications of their bug killer. If you wait they spread fast and you'll lose your entire lawn.

The post is from over a year ago. The OP probably moved on, he's only made one post here. I wonder if his yard greened up OK in the spring?

Nothing wrong with digging around in the old threads there is a lot of information there. The search tool also works great.

Most of the time I think it is better to start a new thread if you have a similar question or comment but sometimes if there is a lot of good background info in an old thread it is better to just tack on to it. Or like this one if you have information that someone can use when searching in the future add it to the old thread. When I do that I usually say “this is an old thread but here is some information for the record” sometime that even revises an old thread and we start talking about it again.

Back