old cast iron...new 1-1/2" shower drain...send help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeusa

Reaction score
My house was built in '48 and the original shower was plumbed with a 1-1/2 drain. I've gutted this bath and installed a new neo corner kit and thought I would just connect a new 2" pvc drain to the original cast iron soil pipe....but note where this connects at point A. in the photo:

1.jpg

I couldn't find a dounut adaptor to use with 2" pvc here. After looking at things closer...this "y" is a 1-1/2" and will not take a 2" line into it...nor do I want to reduce the drain downstream of the trap. So....do I go with the original size of 1-1/2". It worked fine for us fo rthe last 15 years...so it should continue to work for another 15 I guess.

The only other solution that I see is to remove all of the old cast iron stuff...and redo it with new PVC.

This pic is directly under the toilet with a vent at point B.

2.jpg

This stack goes through the block wall and into the basement next to the hot water heater:

3.jpg

Then into the slab and out to the sewer:
4.jpg

Back in the top pic...at point A. This is where I need to connect both, the shower drain and the sink drain.

I'm a skilled diy'er but lacking experience with this stuff......

thoughts on how to approach it?

Sincere thanks,
Joe.

Your shower needs to be 2" and cannot be reduced downstream.

Check a posting by tooltime "drain for washer" posted 07-20-2006, I think that will help.

Why? There was nothing of any value in that thread other than a hacked up not to code mess...

I'd cut out the cast and do it right...
You just might want a plumber on this one...

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! That link was every helpful...and gave me the idea to tap into the cleanout opening with PVC...then cap of the opening at A.

-Joe

So what do you do for a cleanout now? :rolleyes: :hide:

So what do you do for a cleanout now? :rolleyes: :hide:

Here's a pic:

1.jpg

Here's the clean-out. The first plan was to plumb the shower and sink drain back into the branch at "A" where is was done originally....but now, I think I'm going to remove the clean-out plug...and install a PVC cleanout with branch for the sink and shower drain.

Kinda like tooltime did here in the referenced response:

drain1dfulllo3.jpg

But now...the problem is getting the clean-out plug off....it won't budge. It is brass and It's soaking in penatrating oil right now..I'll try again in a few days.

Any help on getting it out?

-Joe

Okay that's what I thought...
A hacked up not to code mess...

Carry On!

Take your pictures and ideas to your local inspector and ask for suggestions, they are not the bougyman.

Back