Question on Ceiling Fans

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shackdweller

Reaction score
I've got a question on ceiling fans suspended from the ceiling by down rods.

My shack has a very high cathedral ceiling, and I do not want to have to climb up a high step ladder and disconnect the wires to the motor from the electrical box in the ceiling, take off the down rod from the ceiling box, while still attatched to the motor, then attatch the new fan to the down rod, pulling the wires thru the down rod, then having to take the whole assembled rig back up on the ladder to the ceiling, and attatching it from the top of the down rod to the bell housing that fits onto the ceiling electrical box.

I asked a salesman at a chain store, if there were any ceiling fans where I could simply take off the fan motor from the bottom of the down rod, using a short step ladder, and make the connections with the motor wire extending from the down rod in the housing of the fan motor, instead at the top of the down rod.

The salesman, who claimed much experience with ceiling fans, said that yes, there were fans where the connections to the motor could be made that way, but he did not tell me the name of whatever type of fan that would be.

That was in 2010, and at that time, someone else gave me a new fan, and installed it the old way, putting the down rod on top of the motor, and climbing a very high step ladder and connecting the top of the down rod to the housing on the ceiling electrical box, and making the electrical connections to the motor at that point.

I don't need to replace my ceiling fan now, but am concerned about possibly having to do so in the future, and I would like to get a fan where the electrical connections to the motor could be made in the motor housing, at the bottom of the down rod and not at the top of the down rod at the ceiling electrical box.

I recently discussed this matter with a man of many years experience, and he said that fan motors of this type were not manufactured any more.

Or, that fans of the type I want were never manufactured in the first place.

So, who is correct about this matter?

Is it possible to get a ceiling fan of the type that I want, and if so, what is that type of fan called?

All you need is a replacement by the same mfg. and you make the connections at the motor.

Your last "experienced" person didn't know what he was talking about.

If it's made by man, it can be fixed.

We have a 15' cathedral ceiling in our living room, with a down rod bringing the fan down to 8', there's one in the master bath also, about a 4' drop. It's been a good long time, but if I recalll the down rod came separate with wire / hardware and was just a repalcement for the 6" or so rod the fans came with, pretty standard mount if I recall. Nothning special about the fan or the connection, so any fan, other than maybe a ceiling hugger fan should fit, and you should be able to just disconnect the fan from the down rod, unscrew the wire nuts and replace it with a new unit.

Last edited:
Some models thread on and sone have a pin, so mounting the motor without the blades is simple, but the same same mfg. is important.

So to simplify the question, you are looking for a fan that has a housing for a connection at the motor. It should have wire nuts there, and it should have a universal mount to the down bar. You may get lucky even without wire nuts present, that the terminals on the motor are easy to access. But that would void your warranty, so be sure before you do it.

I think any fan with a down bar, the bar can be changed out to a longer one but i think most are brand specific.

Buy a multi-pin connector from an online electronic surplus place, or separate insulated spade lugs from the h/w store, to replace the wire nuts?

Back