GFCI in series?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IZZY

Reaction score
I've got a fountain out front that's waiting for an electrical connection. I plan on taping power off a GFCI duplex recepticle in the garage, running 15 feet of conduit and installing an outdoor duplex GFCI recepticle on the exterior of the garage. I'll install a standard switch between them. I understand GFCIs are required for any outdoor application. My question is, will it be a problem connecting two GFCI recepticles in series?

If you hook up to the load side of the first one, the outside plug would be protected, if you want two gfi, hook up to the line side and add pigtails to the that plug.

Far better to tap off of the load side and not install any GFI one the outside of the building. Far less to get false trips from moisture in the GFI.
Do you plan on running this fountian 24/7?
Trying to figure out why you would want a switch. The pump for the fountian will have a plug on the end of it that could be unpluged if service was needed.
A timer could be installed inside the garage that would shut it on and off to preset times if that's what your plan is.

Actually series is not the right term, nothing in hose wiring is in series always parallel. But in your case the outlets are in a string rather than more of a hub.

I agree, avoid the GFI outside.

Thanks to all for the info.
> If I don't install a GFCI outside would I be busting code?
> Run 24/7? No. Haven't planned that out yet. Probably going to be random.
> Why a switch? The plug will be behind plants and bushes. Would be a PIA to unplug every day. Timer is a possibility.

Back