York Stellar Erratic Starting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your fuel type: gas or oil. If you have gas, your ignitor would be your problem. Look into the glass in front of the burners. My igniter is on the left side. If the igniter does not glow cherry red, the whole igniter, the temperature sensor will not open the gas valve. Look at the control module flashing light. This tell you what the cause of the failure, quite simple. Go the the York web page and download the manual for your furnas. A new ignitor locally $60, web best $30. Keep a new one just in case. I was impatient at midnight, so I used my propane torch instead of the ignighter to light the furnas. Kids get cranky at 50 degrees in there PJs.

It's a 40VA transformer.
With the vent blower off I was getting 26.5 volts out, vent blower on
24.6 volts out and 24.1 volts back from thermostat.
I got this after I took the120 power on/off switch out & wire direct.
Voltage at the circuit breaker was 118.8 and at fan limit switch 118.2 - a drastic improvement over 94.4 with the on/off switched wired in line.
The vent fan which is rated at .7a is now reading .54a versus .65a.
Your thoughts?
Thanks again!
Dave

The 24volt system should work ok as long as you don't drop any lower.
When you say vent blower, are you talking main blower or stack inducer fan?
you should not be dropping 2 volts by running one relay to start a blower. Later paul

Paul
It was the stack inducer fan.
Installed new on/off power switch tonight.
With both fans running now getting 24.7v @ transformer, 24.2v back from thermostat and 24.0v @ fan limit switch and 119.2v on line load @ fan limit switch.
Hasn't miss-fired yet. Thanks to your help I think the problem is solved!
If I have future problem I will try changing out and upping the Va of the transformer
Thank you so very much for your help!
Dave

Back