furring out basement, help?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeydiy

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement. Poured conc. walls with polyiso rigid insul attached to it, so the inside has a "tin foil" appearance. I already have vapor barrier, insulation, and structural conc. wall. Do I build a 2x4 typical stud wall? Do I use furring strips? Do I use metal studs? What are the pros and cons? How does electrical work if I use furring strips? :eek:

This thread has more coverage in other areas also.
I would go with the steel studs. They do not mold up, and they are cheaper. Also faster to put up and finish.
Just remember if you use sheetrock, keep it off the floor at least 1 inch. Saves you from water wicking up the walls.

We should just post the perfect basement somewhere or at least look it up. I know Handyguy is doing a podcast...maybe I'll look in.;)

Hey - My ears were burning!
The first basement podcast went online yesterday. It was about whether you should DIY or not. Next week is about is your basement a good candidate, after that its permits and inspectors. After that we will cover material choices (we haven't recorded that yet)

Mike - My preference for DIYers is wood studs. I have used both and personally I find wood easier to work with. (I do woodworking and furniture building as a hobby so I may be biased). I build the stud wall out from the masonry an inch or so. I do that for a couple of reasons. First is the masonry may not be plumb, secondarily my insulation wont be in contact with the masonry and would be less likely to wick moisture.

As for the podcasts - We may be interested in interviewing someone who has DIYed their basement or is considering it or is in the middle of it. Any takers just let me know via the contact info found on the site in my sig.

I was surfing this thread looking for ideas to insulate my basement floor before carpeting. I had a suggestion of getting 5/8 or 3/4 inch carpet padding, and now I am off to see handy guy's webcast about finishing basements. Thanks Kidz

M

Why are the first three posts in the flooring thread?

furring strips are far from ideal. def. metal studs are best.

Metal studs tend to rust up behind the walls. Been there done that. Almost no one has the shear to cut them. wiring will need bushings. Everyone has a saw and a hammer.
Never use carpet padding in direct contact with a concrete floor unless you lay a vaper barrier first or it will wick up moisture.
I did one with 1" thick blue hard foam with 3/4" Advantec over that Tap Coned it to the concrete floor and went over that with Allour flooring. Looks great and the floors are far warmer now.

A vapor barrier under the pad will just promote the growth of mold.

Back