Framing out a bonus room doorway for a barn door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrkawz

Reaction score
I just bought a house last year and the bonus room that is above the garage was finished, but the entrance to it was framed up with this wood that was barley hanging on, and theres no door to my room. (see pic 1 and 2)

I pulled down all of the trim wood with relative ease but now Im wondering what is the best way to proceed. My original plan was to build down the top so that its flush with the other doorway on the right (see last picture). I was just going to build down the header and nail it into the side of the door studs. Then sheetrock the entire thing (no molding or anything) and hang a barn door on the inside.

But after looking at door framing guides it seems like the header sits on top of the jack studs so maybe attaching it to the side isn't the best plan. Anyway the jack stud on the left side was cut in two, and its kind of twisted and wonky (see pictures) so it may be better to replace it anyway, or i could try sheetrock magic to get it to look smooth.

Which leaves me to my question. What is the proper thing to do here? Should i try to replace the jack studs? Is this dangerous without the proper knowledge? Or should I just screw/nail the header into the sides of the existing jack studs?

Thanks in advance.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Qs9Dx

A barn door usually trolleys from the top, are you speaking of a door in the style of a gate?

Replace the trimmer on the left.

To lower the header height just install a 2X4 at the height you want and add 3, 2X4 blocks vertical above it.

It looks like the opening was framed like the other doors but was opened up. Just remove that short piece of stud which looks like it was nailed with finish nails from a Paslode nailgun. You'll have the original jacks. Cut a couple of 2x set flat for the header, add a cripple or 2 and finish as you want.

@Snoonyb I'm planning on hanging the barn door from the inside (http://imgur.com/CeTONLF). Thats why i want to build down the top of the door frame so that I have something to attach the railing to.

@Beachguy005 That actually makes sense as it does look to be the same height. But on the right side its one solid piece of wood for the jack stud. See pic above. Do I just need to take a sawzall to it and make it the same height and finish out the frame the normal way?

@Beachguy005 That actually makes sense as it does look to be the same height. But on the right side its one solid piece of wood for the jack stud. See pic above. Do I just need to take a sawzall to it and make it the same height and finish out the frame the normal way?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure from the photo if they were the same on both sides but yes, you can cut it the same height or add one.

Back