Water in basement: pump or something else?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
For the last couple of days we had heavy rain and this morning I discovered a puddle of water in the basement bedroom. I am attaching a couple of photos taken after cleanup so no water there, but I labeled one of the pictures.

We have a sump pump in the corner and the pump appears to be fully operational: I poured some water into the well and it the pump sucked it out right away. Did not hear any funny noises when the pump was working.

The puddle was not that big and it was in the middle of the room. Both the walls adjacent to the well and the floor near the well were totally dry. So it appeared as if the water came from directly underneath.

The labeled photo shows the line where the drainage pipe leading to the well is.

We have laminate floors laid on top of concrete, if that matters.

So what happened? Do you think this has to do with the pump or something else? Drainage pipe clogged? If so, how can I clean it? Any other ways to prevent this from happening again, that does not involve ripping up the floors or the walls?

Thank you!

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

99% of the time this issue needs to be addressed outside.
No flower beds forming ponds, no mulch piled up against the foundation, grade must run away from the home.
Leaking or plugged up gutters, no gutters, downspout not far enough out away from the foundation.

A small amount of water could be traveling under the flooring and accumulating in a low spot where it seeps up above the flooring. What kind of shape was the concrete in before you laid the flooring down? Any cracks? Any "sweat spots"? Any indication that the water over-topped the sump well? Is there any kind of plastic or underlayment between the concrete and the laminate?

Our gutters got clogged and water was overflowing onto the ground below the gutters close to the room where flooding happened.

Cleaned the gutters this weekend, so will wait for the next heavy rain to see if that fixed the problem.

For water to be on the floor there, I would expect the sump hole to be wet to the top.
I have seen hardwood and laminate get wet from below.
If you have had a flood from below the floor will show problems sooner rather than later.

Back