Creative duct work ideas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoverMYhead

Reaction score
Guys, I wanna get some cold air returns to parts of my house at a minimal price. Granted the most annoying part of my project is the $$$ galvanized tubing price. 1 piece 2 piece 3 piece it all adds up. I want to run spiral duct tubing up-through my floor / corner closet to an attic adjoining loft area. The attic crawls all have spray foamed decking so there isn't a worry for temp or humidify swings.
The question I propose is why can't I use similar shaped puzzle pieces to complete my puzzle. If anyone is familiar with removable concrete tubing you know it's durable cardboard. Now I could use this as a means of air transport with appropriate tube connections. Right? Also I was considering making some rectangular cold air returns with valley tin over 1/4" mdf constructed much like a false soffit in the basement ceiling as it runs perpendicular to floor joists. Gimme your input please.

Interesting and cheap idea. You might be up against local code.
But here you can use stud bay or cavity for return air with out a liner.
Sonno-tubes are coated on the inside with a wax like product and does come from the factory one inside another so say eight inch comes from 7 34 to 8 1/4 inches so that would make joining fairly easy. The ends may feed mold so maybe just using aluminum tape to seal the ends before sliding them together would work. You would want to make sure the inside dosn't feed mold anymore than the back of drywall does.

th

a20791a133c660c8f0e40_m.jpg

flex duct and insulated board, is how its done today

and silver duct tape

Yes^^ Right on man. Didn't think of the insulation board.
I was told the flex tubbing can cause considerable air friction... It seems silly to worry about air friction. Yet I pose the question. Does distance play a factor or am i over thinking it?

they make a plenum out of duck board and run 8'' flex every where

use a metal 90 at the register tie in [so it dont kink]

and spin ins at the the plenum ...use childers duct sealent . your done

Back