Caulk removal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney R

Reaction score
The plumber installed my new 2 piece shower. Only problem, the base and the walls are not anywhere near flush, which will be a huge problem for the shower surround. So, I'd like the remove the base from the wall unit, but it's silicone caulked at the bottom (like it should be). So what dissolves silicine caulk, but doesn't harm the acrylic fiberglass of the new shower? And will it be able to penetrate enough to get it apart? The flange is about an inch maybe 1.5 inches, so who knows how the caulk has squished in there....

Rodney

Just sister new 2x4s to the sides of the studs at the top to flush the wall out to the surround. If you have to remove it you will have to cut the chauking and clean it up as best you can when it is apart.

I got the thing apart - I used some of the small wooden shims like a wedge to allow my knife blade to get inside the crack to cut the caulk. I am now in the process of cleaning up the remnants of the caulk, and it turns out that wd-40 works real well. I would have never thought that.

Rodney

Most of the time people don't prep well enough for silicone to stick as well as it can. If you are going to reuse this stuff clean if really well then use alcohol to do a few final cleans right before you put on new silicone.

Back