flashing for a covered deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vimarmot

Reaction score
i'm building a covered deck off the first floor of my house. There is an overhang of about 18 inches for the second floor. My plan was to attach a ledger board under the overhang and then use simpson rafter hangers to join my rafters to the ledger board. Then 1/2 inch plywood, roofing felt and 24 gauge steel roofing. I know that the rainwater will never get in between the ledger board and the house simply because of the overhang. However, i'm worried that my inspector will want some sort of flashing in case someone hoses off the roof from below. Any suggestion how i would install flashing as the roofing material will not be perfectly flat?

In addition, the house is stucco. Would you removethe stucco prior to installing the ledger board?

Thanks

I've had my roofer installing a roof all week long at my house. I too had a patio cover which was lag bolted to the existing stucco and a 2" x 12" beam. There were signs of water intrusion previously, so the roofer saw cut a 3/8" channel into the stucco, then installed a "Z" flashing with screws and silicone. Now, and water running down the stucco will hit the flashing and be diverted away from the wall onto the roof.

after a bit of consideration, I've decided to not use the overhang, but go directly to the rim board above it. All I have to do is take off the 1 X 10 trim, remove the stucco and I'll have plenty of leftover space to put my 2 X 8 and some flashing.

Latest posts

Back