recessed light insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartfish

Reaction score
Cold air pours from my recessed lights in my MBath and kitchen. The ceilings are vaulted, so I can't climb up there to stuff insulation around the cans. Any suggestions?

Expansion foam should do the trick or tuck tape the drywall to the can making sure you keep the tape back so the covers cover up the tape. I would use expansion foam myself but be careful not to use to much.

Use a high temp. caulk. Go around can in gap between metal and drywall. Then remove bulb and trim, and seal any holes in can housing that dont interfere with trim mounting. This should take care of it. Good kuck..... Oh theres always airlock trims to, They arent the prettiest, but they work....

Any solution is going to require you to climb up to the lights. Insulation won't do the trick. You need a vapour barrier and insulation.

in my earlier posting I meant to have you pull the trim first. Then seal around can. Good luck....

Latest posts

Back