Framing basement partition - ceiling not level

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gqskrub

Reaction score
Hi I'm building a rather simple wall in my basement to separate space. However the ceiling towards the middle of the room is 1.5'' shorter than at the edge of the room. The base plate needs to be shimmed but only about 0.25''. That still leaves over an inch of space above the frame at the edge of the wall. What should I do?

<edit> I wanted to build the wall laying down and then tilt it into place. I was not sure whether shimming 1'' would be too much or if it would be better for me to cut the vertical studs at varied heights and have the top plate at the same angle as the ceiling. </edit>

Last edited:
I'd shim the top plate after the wall is assembled and lifted into place. That way you don't have to keep accomodating the difference in heigth with the drywall to follow.

Either way would be fine. For me I would just cut each stud to fit.

Install bottom plate, level up each end and mark the top, snap line and install top plate.

Lay out studs and measure each and write on scrap wood. Cut each stud at once then nail up one at a time.

Just my .02

Good Luck

either way is good , stick framing will feel better when your done if pride means anything

Back