The probability and benefit of pouring concrete?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Reaction score
Sometime this summer I'll be treating my house for termites. It presently has a block & beam foundation and I'll be needing to tear off the entire floor downstairs (no big deal, it's unfinished plywood) to have the area around the posts treated. I was wondering about the possibility and costs of, while the floor is open, pouring cement under the floor to essentially have the house sit on a slab, then later bolt the existing framing to it. It's all open on the first floor already. If this is possible, would it be worth the cost to do so?

Attached are some pictures of the first floor, exterior of the house, and underneath it.

Under the house:
dsc00443j.jpg

dsc00506i.jpg

dsc00507v.jpg

Interior floor (continued in next post)
dsc01058.jpg

Interior floor (continued from previous post):
dsc00486a.jpg

Exterior:
dsc00505s.jpg

dsc00496e.jpg

dsc01067n.jpg

^^^Note the termite damage...

Last edited:
Welcome.:)
Is the house already supported and bolted to something?
My advice is to forget the slab. You really only need to control the water vapor from the ground. Flatten out the ground and give it some slope or "pitch" towards the low side of the house. Install some 6 mill plastic or heavier under the entire house. Weight it down with concrete bocks every 6 feet or so. The issue with termites in your area will just not work well with a slab. When you get it treated it will need to be drilled into to get through to the soil, as someone is already realizing in another post.
Also try to leave the bottom open so it dries out under there. Insulate the floor and any pipes going into the ground.
Hope this helps, I'm sure there is more advice out there.:D

The house is secured to several posts set into the ground, though I don't know how far down they are. The house withstood hurricane ike without a scratch so I assume it's good. Thanks for the advice:D

Back